Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have I got an intellegent puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emmily, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

At just 13 weeks Dasiy, a Jack Russell cross Poodle, is going to back door to 'ask' to go out when she needs to, which I think is very good for her young age. But then am I just comparng Daisy to Rosie, now getting on for four years old who was a very difficult puppy to house train.

If Daisy is showing signs of being very intellegent, how do I stimulate her to use the intellegence that she has, if she has it? :)

2. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Poodles are among the highest ranking "Intelligent" dogs , along with collies / German Shepherds /Golden Retrievers.

Keeping an intelligent dog occupied is a must otherwise they'll get up to mischief :D

Mental Entertainment for Dogs

Ideas for Mental Stimulation / Enrichment

Also do a youtube search for "Crate games" this is one of my favourites

Crate Rest Activities for Dogs after Back, Hip, Leg Injuries, ACL or TPLO, Heartworm treatmentetc - YouTube

Obviously your dog is not on crate rest but below it shows you how to teach the tricks :)

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

That's great :) Although I wouldn't say it's unusual :) There's lots of variables too - perhaps you have trained this new pup better than your older dog in that area, perhaps it has helped that pup can copy the older dog etc. Also, your pup might be able to control her bladder earlier than your older dog, which isn't really a sign of intelligence.

Nonetheless, lots of short, fun training sessions will be great to help stimulate your little one's mind :)

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Obviously you need to enrol your puppy into a dog training class for gifted dogs and apply for MENSA.

After that prepare her for the media attention that will no doubt be showered upon you both in the glittering career ahead of you.

5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Asking to go out to potty is not really a sign of intelligence. It is instinctual behavior in dogs to want to keep their living area clean, and if those instincts have been maintained by an attentive dam, and a clean environment, you will see what you are seeing. Now if the pup was picking up pen and paper and spelling it out for you I'd be impressed ;)

By the same token, your Rosie is not a stupid dog just because she was difficult to house-train. Many factors affect those "keep living space clean" instincts, including the quality of the breeder you got her from, how attentive you are to the pup's signs and cleaning up accidents, and how you go about training to go outside. Many owners inadvertently shoot themselves in the foot with house-training with ineffective practices.

Basically when training fails, it's not the dog's intelligence that comes in to question.

JMO, but I feel ALL dogs should have their minds nurtured and stimulated.
    How? Training, outings, puzzle toys, nose-work, play, dog-sports... Anything that's interactive and not sitting around like a bump on a log.

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Why the need to be rude??? :nonod:

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

LOL that's the interwebz for ya. I though it was funny in a tongue-in-cheek way. I certainly didn't see any malice in the reply.

Oh well...

Either way, great that pup asks to go out, no, not a sign of intelligence really, but stimulating her young mind is a good idea anyway.

8. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Oh dear, did you have your sense of humour bypass surgery done courtesy of the NHS or privately?

Either way, you got your money's worth. :rolleyes:

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Maybe it was supposed to be a joke. I just felt that if I had a new puppy and I was really excited about my clever pup (and lets face it, most of us think our dogs are amazing), I'd feel like someone was really taking the p1ss.

10. ouesi

ouesi Guest

LOL!
    Way to de-escalate the conversation. :D

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

You'll have to help me out here - is that another joke?

12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Oh I can see how it can be interpreted as rude. I was just saying it's not the only way to interpret the post.

What can I say? I'm easily amused. That you took a pop at SB and she took one back at you - all because a puppy asking to potty is now a mensa candidate, is totally cracking me up! You can't make this stuff up!

13. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I rest my case................................ :D

14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well now we've got the really important business of discussing my sense of humour or lack thereof out of the way, how about we leave the OP to enjoy her lovely, clever puppy.

15. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Thanks all for your replies.:)

Please don't be concerned about Smokeybear's comment, it made me laugh. I Googled for a Mensa certificate that I could download and change details on to post as a reply back to Smokeybear, but I couldn't find one.

Come to think of it, the time of year probably had a lot to do with house training Rosie V Daisy. We got Rosie in Feburary, winter time, and she hated going out in the rain, so was very difficult to get her to go out at all. We got Daisy in August, summer time when OH and myself were both on holiday from work so spent most of time in garden.

16. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

My 9 year old Cavalier King Charles hates going out in the rain so I made sure I drilled into our pup that rain is good. My neighbors have seen me stood in the garden in sheets of rain with him :lol:

17. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

OH tells me I'm cruel when I stand out in rain getting wet with puppy, sometimes I'm sensible and take brolly with me to garden.

Did it last week with Daisy, she was obviously sniffing around looking for some where to 'go', called her to follow me to garden in rain, no time to pick up a brolly. So there we are both in garden in rain with OH in door way telling me how cruel I was, I just told him there was times she had to go out no matter what the weather. Daisy had a wee, we went back in and I got a towel and dried her, no problem, apart from OH's daft comment.:mad2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice