Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have adopted 2 yorkies and would appreciate some advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lisagill, Mar 16, 2008.

1. lisagill

lisagill PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have just adopted 2 yorkies aged 4 and 5.

Their previous owner had been feeding them butchers choice pate's and butchers choice dried food.

Now the bigger yorkie, doesn't bother with the dried stuff and seems to eat anything put in front of her. The smaller (toy) yorkie seems incredibly fussy, will only eat the dried stuff one morsel at a time lol!

Thing is the bigger yorkies poos are disgusting, really smelly and really sloppy and I've been advised that I should try them on decent dried food like Eukanuba and Royal Canin.

I rang Royal Canin and they sent me some sample yorkshire terrier food and the pair of them won't touch the stuff.

So basically what would you do? What food would you recommend? Is there a way I should be weaning them off Butchers? Should I just stop feeding for a day and hope that they'll finally succumb to the delights of dried food??

All help and advice GRATEFULLY received.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

2. griffpan

griffpan PetForums VIP

Hiya I'm not sure what brand food you should give them, but you should wean them off their usual food gradually over a period of about 10 days. Just keep adding more of the new food and less of the butchers.

It'll save them getting an upset tummy changing gradually.

3. dogtrng

dogtrng PetForums Newbie

Its been twenty years since I have been involved with dogs and I'm yet to see a dog die of starvation.

But I've seen hundreds of owners succumb to the theatrics and emotional blackmail that our pets put us through.

Go right ahead and starve him until he eats what you serve. Dogs have a great sixth sense and if they realize that you will not buckle to their demands they will eat what you serve.

And when you do succeed, do tell members of this forum about it,
    so more owners can adopt this practical yet heart breaking approach.

Learn about Yorkshire Terrier Dogs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice