Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hates girth

Discussion in 'Horse Tack and Equipment' started by estrelaslave23, Mar 27, 2014.

1. estrelaslave23

estrelaslave23 PetForums Junior

Hi, my mare is increasingly protesting about the girth. She is on working livery and i think they sometimes do it up too tight causing discomfort. Has anyone had experience of comfort girths with elastic both ends? She is a barrel shaped cob so saddle can slip, now wears a breastplate to stop movement as much as possible. Saddle fits fine. Ta

2. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

Many horses objest to being girthed, particularly mares.
    You can by happy girths though that don't nip the same.

3. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Girthing up must be done gently and slowly, I would insist she has this done as an owner. You can try a fleece girth sleeve as well, and also check she is groomed properly with the dirt cleaned from that area. I'm not sure an elasticated girth will help matters particularly, gentle handling is more of a priority. When I do the girth up on the carriage harnesses, I sometimes just secure it enough so its not tight but it doesn't fall off whilst the horse is standing waiting for work.

4. estrelaslave23

estrelaslave23 PetForums Junior

Everybody has been told to be very gentle with her and i will insist only the yard owner or head girl tacks her up from now on. Will try a sleeve as another sensitive mare has one and it seems to have helped her. Thanks

5. robinsons

robinsons PetForums Newbie

Girthing should be always done with great care and in a very gentle manner.

6. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I think the OP has already been told this :)

7. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I used to have girth sleeves for my girth, my mare used to occasionally try and nip but she had girth galls with a previous owner so was a little sensitive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice