Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hasn't eaten her food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jaf, May 19, 2017.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

This is Honey, she's around 12, I've had her for 10 years and she was grown up when I adopted her. She has always been in great health. Always eats her food and goes back to lick her bowl. And all the floors!

Poor girl hasn't eaten her food tonight, with a lot of persuasion she has eaten 2 tablespoons worth. She ate a chew so don't think it's her teeth. She ate with her bum on the floor and she didn't lick up some food that fell on the floor. She is drinking but is very lethargic. She was a bit odd with yesterday's food, she left a bit and went back to it later, she's never done that before.

Vets tomorrow morning. Is there anything I can ask for them to check? I don't think she's been sick or had diarrhoea but not sure as she's had access to huge outside area.

Thanks.

IMG_1078.JPG

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Hopefully its just a bit of a bug shes picked up and with the right medication it will just pass. If she doesn't eat tonight its not critical as long as she is drinking plenty.
    Just a thought but is she spayed or entire, only asking as unspayed bitches when they get older can be more at risk of uterine infections which can be nasty.
    Really the vet should give her a thorough check tomorrow anyway, and probably check out that she has not pain her her limbs, spine or neck, and he should do things like feel her tummy and probably take her temperature. If they are running a fever it can make them off food, very lethargic. Just have a look around the garden before you go if you can just to see if you can find any diarrhoea like motions or vomit. Sometimes when they feel nauseous they eat things like grass to make themselves sick too.

You can do some basic checks yourself, like check to see if her gums are a nice pink normal colour and moist/shiny, if they are very pale or especially whiteish then that can mean they are anaemic, if the gums are dry and sticky looking then that can mean they are dehydrated which in itself tends to make them vey lethargic. You can also check her circulation by gently pressing on her upper gum with a forefinger, it should blanche where you have exerted some pressure and then return to normal colour in 1/2 seconds. Another test for dehydration is to gently lift up the loose skin on her back, if she is well hydrated it should spring back like elastic when you let go, if its slow returning or worse stays up tent like before returning slowly then that's usually a sign they are dehydrated. Not the most scientific and concrete way of checking but sometimes you can get an idea if they may have a temperature if their nose is very hot and very dry, one of mine when she was about Honeys age had similar symptoms and her nose was very dry and hot and she had a temperature, they gave her an antibiotic shot and I had to take her the next day and the temp had come down. Sometimes if they have a high temperature and you feel the inside of their ears they tend to be red hot too.

I hope its nothing serious and just a bit of a bug that's easily sorted, please let us know how she is and what the vet says.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  3. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thank you.

Her gums look ok, her ears are normal temp, her "scruff" is a little slow but I am comparing her to cats so could be wrong. I've never had to poke her gums before, think it was ok. No signs of gingivitis. She is spayed, a huge scar. I've felt all over her, no obvious bumps or pains. I didn't try palpating her tummy, worried I wouldn't do it correctly.

I will look outside in the morning for any evidence.

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Hope she is feeling better this morning

5. Sled dog hotel

Hope she is feeling a bit better this morning.

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

How did you get on at the vets, hope she feeling better today.

7. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thank you lovely people. I was very worried about her in the vets, she just lay there. Vet says gastroenteritis, he checked her temperature and blood pressure, her tummy was a bit sore but no obvious lumps. She has had injections to reduce temperature and pain, anti vomit, antibiotics and a stomach liner.

Amazingly she has perked up a little, she pulled me over to a bush so she could have a wee!

Vet says chicken and rice in a couple of hours.

Sled dog hotel, rona and MiffyMoo like this.
  8. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

She's almost back to normal! Clever girl.

Handsomejack and Sled dog hotel like this.
  9. Sled dog hotel

Really good news glad she is almost over it now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice