Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has your dog insurance gone up?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by addey, Oct 22, 2012.

1. addey

addey PetForums Newbie

Hi all

We've just had our renewal quote through for Monty's insurance and its gone up by 60%! Has anyone else seen similar increases? They are justifying it by saying that vetinary procedures have increased (by up to 300%!), which I don't doubt in some situations, but the increase seems extreme (£20/month to £32/month). If we decide to change insurers are there any implications regarding declaring previous conditions i.e. will a new insurer continue to cover things that we have claimed for previously?

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

No new insurer will cover a pre existing condition, ie. if your dog has had a knee problem your new insurance will not cover the same condition, and is likely to attempt to refuse to cover any knee injury if it could possibly be related to the original one.

Insurance does go up. Your dog is a year older for a start, age has a massive impact. By the time my dog is 7 or 8 I expect to be paying £70+, currently I pay £30 and he has just turned 4 years old. My 3YO lab currently only costs £19 but I expect his to rise to £26+ when his renews in December.

Its the way of the world I'm afraid.

3. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

I am expecting Holly's to go up by a lot next month. I have claimed so much this last couple of years and they have paid without a murmur but I think I will be in for a shock soon

4. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Who are you with and what type of policy is it?

No.

5. flyballcrazy

flyballcrazy PetForums Senior

Yes Lucky's insurance doubled but he's 9 know :0(

He's with M&S life cover up to I think £7500.

6. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Not at the moment luckily his renewal came in before he was diagnosed with his illness, I don't even want to think what it's going to be next year.

7. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

My dogs was with Argos/homebase last year and the renewal prices was over 100% increase for one dog just turned 2 with no claims and 120% for my other dog who had just turned 4 and has never had a claim :cursing:

We are no longer with them !

8. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Its scary how much they can go up.

I was with MoreThan for a couple of years - Millies policy doubled each time and they added that you had to pay the excess and 10% of the remaining bill :(

Before I took out Millies new policy with Axa I done some searches with them as if she was older. I done one saying she was born in 2001 (so 11.5 years old) out of curiosity and it came out at £24 a month. (I relaise this could/ will change but thought it gave an idea of what 'could' happen).

Sometimes there is an advantage to a good old mongrel!

Also its a good idea to phone speak to them about any possible exclusions- Which is anything you have ever been to the vets for and is on your dogs record. For instance Millie cut her paw earlier this year - So it was no good me taking out a policy with a company who will automaticly exclude that paw from another accident due to this. I have made sure that any future paw injuries are covered as long as its not the same incision opened up obviously.

9. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

Yes for my 3 chihuahuas who are 2,3 and 4 (2 of which are crossbreeds so insurance for them was a bit cheaper than the pure breed) went up from £45 a month to £70. They also changed how much you can claim back on consultations for a particular condition & how much they will pay for overnight fees. I think £70 is mad for 3 relatively healthy young dogs, and they are a breed that have quite a long life expectancy. Can you imagine how much i'd be paying for all 3 by the time they'd hit 10, and on top of that the excess goes up when they are over a certain age, I guess I'd be a lot more likely to claim at that point too so not only would I be paying probably over £150 a month in insurance but also a hell of a lot in excess.

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo's went up at renewal last year by about £90 per year; same reason given to me as to why.

11. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

First Insurer i rang this morning (existing Insurer for Oscar) refused to even quote for the new puppy (Bernese) :eek:

12. ebonyblack

ebonyblack PetForums Senior

I had the same thing happen to us. It went up by £60 for the year. Part of it was new customer discount and vet fees going up. When I told them I've found a better deal they said they would see if they could bring down the price ( I guess like when u change your phone contract) but they were unable to match it... So I voted with my feet :)

13. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Kali and Martys more than doubled from £60 per month to £132 per month :eek: platinum, one Homebase and one Argos. I think it would be fairer to work on a no claims scheme, if you don't make a claim it remains virtually the same premium but that wouldn't account for inflation I suppose.

Getting to a point where we won't be able to afford insurance at all!

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Wow - Thats a whoopping £1584 a year for one dog. :eek: Genuinely shocked wow.

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Toffee's insurance was renewed recently with Argos. I was dreading it after hearing what people are saying on here but it had gone up by about £5 for the year so I could not grumble. It is just over £100 for the year, if it gets much more I will stop insuring. I cant see any point in giving the insurance company a huge amount each year.

16. CockersIndie

CockersIndie PetForums VIP

Indie's has doubled im sure after the first year- couldnt believe it- she's only just 1! Surely age can't come into it this early on? If anything she's less likely to be ill now she's 1 rather than 4 months say- when she's b chewing stuff?

17. GoldenShadow

I disagree. It's not my fault Rupert is ill and I claim a lot. He was from health tested parents and I've always done what I thought was best for him so why should I pay more than Joe Bloggs who bought a puppy farmed dog that just happens to be healthy. It's unlucky for people to have a sick dog, it's not really something very many of us can control whatsoever. It would be discrimination really.

People don't have to have the higher end policies. I doubt I will keep mine on an all singing all dancing one when they age because with Roo I very much doubt past the age of 8 I would put him through an awful lot.

18. GoldenShadow

Not really. My golden's severe skin issues became developed after he was a year old not before. Babycham'a golden retriever has been diagnosed with epilepsy aged 2. Conditions usually develop further as they mature if they have or are prone to any.

You don't have to have insurance. Some people put money into a separate account and if that is preferential so that. Third party insurance is £20 a year from Dog's Trust. If you really can't or don't want to pay premiums don't do it. I won't if it gets to a point I class as ridiculous.

19. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

Walts went from 17 to 30 but when i said he was now neutored and microchipped it went back down to £17. He was a pup the first year so neither had been done so if your dogs have changed in either of those respects make sure you tell the insurer as in this case it reduced. He is insureed with lifetime insurance pets at home.

20. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Eak I was moaning about the pair of mine going from £24 to 46 with Argos and it's currently £42 for both of them with John Lewis (£7500k )

I don't know how anyone can afford to insure at that cost :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice