UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or just made it up completely by themselves? :D

Arrow has! :rolleyes:

When Arrow doesn't have a ball, he knows 'come' means to come, and sit by my side. However, when I say 'come' when he has the ball, he thinks I mean drop the ball! :eek: :eek: :D

I'm not 100% sure how it came about... I originally thought it was just a fluke for the first few times it happened, but I have paid attention to it and he does it EVERY time. I think he started it, because when I played with the ball with him, I would call him to come to me and try and teach him to drop the ball... But, I think he has associated the dropping of the ball with the word 'come' :eek:

I think this might be him showing me the BC cleverness... I have read so many times about how BCs can pick things up super fast (both good and bad) and they will work things out very quickly for themselves... without us even thinking about it... Oh well, at least I have a way to get him to drop the ball :eek:

I want to get a video of him doing it... people down the park think it is sooooo funny :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Sabre would do any trick he could think of if you had sausages for him, lol. He would be giving you both paws (seperately) before you asked him to to anything!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Indie gets really confused with 'come' when out somewhere. Sometimes she runs straight over to me other times she thinks it means 'come here when you've finished playing with the other dog' Funny that :confused:

:D:D

When she's about to have her dinner I say sit and she sits and gives one paw then the other, then lays down and finally barks - all in the seconds it takes to put her bowl down.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Bella gets the commands "shut up" and "keep barking till I loose the will to live" mixed up every time we go out in the car.

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
Mine are particularly good when I've driven 150 miles plus to a show and on the very last exercise don't know the difference between sit, down or stand - bless..!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
My aunt's Sprocker couldn't get the hang of the difference between "sit" and "stand" - she'd plonk her bum on the floor as soon as she heard the "s" sound. Clever, but not quite right! The stand command became "and" in the end :rolleyes:
If you get a treat mine will go through the whole range of tricks she knows before you actually get to the command in the hope that she is right.
Scooter does this, his favourite is "wave" so he always tries that one first when the treats come out!

G

·
McKenzie thinks 'bed' means 'perform a complex sequence of movements' :rolleyes: I make her go to her bed before letting her eat her dinner. It usually goes something like this:

Me: 'Kenzie, Bed.'
Kenzie: Spin around in a circle.
Me: 'Bed, on your bed.'
Kenzie: Run halfway to bed, spin in a circle.
Me: 'McKENZIE GET ON YOUR BED!!!'
Kenzie: Run to bed, leap in, spin around in a circle, hop out again.
Me: OI!!!!!!
Kenzie: Hop back in bed, sit there looking sweet and innocent until command is given to go and get her dinner.

This happens twice a day!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Tilly is funny when I'm teaching her something new, if she doesn't understand for the first few minutes she just hits the floor, rolls over & plays dead.... she seems to think that will get her a reward even though the word for that is bang:D

G

·
I have a Border Collie who has commands that don't match the action as well.

Whenever I tell him to sit, he lays down. The sit command is now 'up':laugh:
If I give him the command 'down' he goes into a play bow. My BC is not silly but a result of being very clever with a silly mummy who didn't use a clicker correctly.

The mixed up commands make people laugh.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Nah Sophie can just be pretty stubborn.

If I ask her to sit she sits, then I ask for paw then down (laying down)

But instead of laying down shell give me paw again and Ill be like no Sophie down, shell give me paw again with a bark

I say no Sophie down, you know down! She then gives me both paws and barks

Then shell finally do down with some grumbling :laugh:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great 'stories' everyone, they have been very funny :lol: I took a video of Arrow today, so will upload it just now :D Not sure how good it is though, because it is easier to see on the laptop, than that camera.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Well mine have sort of made up their own commands.When i am trying to get past barking dogs to the door i quite often shout "Hang On" basically to let the person outside the door aware that i know they are there.Unfortunately if i have a child in the kitchen call to me in the front room to ask if they can have something and i can't hear them i will shout "Hang On" only too get 4 barking and screaming dogs flying out of their baskets towards the door.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.