Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Werehorse, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I was in a cafe today with the boys and a man came over to admire them. They were both on their best behaviour even though Hugo doesn't really understand that idea yet. We had the usual chat about the dogs, what breed, how old etc.

Then he said "I don't suppose there's any point in me making an offer?" :eek: :confused:

I brushed it off with a "no, 'fraid not, they're my fur-babies" all breezy and calm like. But afterwards I was a bit "WTF? Did he really say that?" Is it normal for someone to offer to buy someone's dogs or is it just me who finds that really, really odd?

I have had someone ask for Oscar to do the nasty with their bitch before but never an outright enquiry as to purchasing them. It unsettled me because it would actually be like selling my children! I'll definitely not be leaving them outside any shops any time soon, or ever in fact.

2. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I get it quite regularly, but unfortunately only by gypsee's or travellors :mad:

3. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

Yup, I was standing outside he supermarket with Dora and holding Otis and a lady asked how much , to which i replied, "not for all the money in the world" , She then asked if she could hold otis to which i politely refused and walked off :)

4. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

....also bad when people say "your dog looks like my dog which was stolen...?" - I'm always really glad we had Rosie from being a puppy!!
    Naomi

5. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Yes it happened to me with my last dog a Lurcher.

I was out walking along the prom at Morecambe and this gypsy came over and started talking to me about Stripe and offered me some money for him.:eek:

I didn't take him up on his generous offer.:)

6. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Not outright, but I get a LOT of comments along the lines of;
    -Do you race them
    -Are they good racers?
    -Are they good rabbiters?
    -They coursing dogs, then?
    -Fast, are they?
    -Good worker, is she? (Ambam gets most of the 'worker' comments)

I did have some unsavoury types follow me once, so I went round the block til I lost them. There was a spate of dognappings going on and I didnt want them knowing where we lived.

I hate it when people ask, I always reply with no, they're woking days are fr behind them, they'd be useless now, they've got no prey drive etc etc just in case.

paranoid, me? Never!

7. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Yeah, one of my step-dogs is a saluki cross and apparently they would always get probing questions about whether they worked her while out and about. They always made a point of saying that her legs were knackered - they are, from being worked to hard to young (she's a rescue obviously, my OH and his ex didn't work her!).

This man today was just an ordinary sort of late middle-aged bloke, nothing shifty about him on the surface at all.

8. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Funnily enough, No! Don't think my two are of the desirable sort :blush:

If anyone did though I would be shocked and mortified that people can just view dogs as objects like that. It's sad to think that there are owners out there that would sell their dogs just like that :mad:

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Yes, have had it a few times :mad:; weirdest was when someone stopped their car to ask. Kilo was a pup at the time and I was frightened that someone might get out of the car and grab him :eek:.

10. Bella Beagle Mum

Bella Beagle Mum PetForums Senior

I've never had someone try to buy Bella, but once some guy approached me asking questions about her pedigree and vaccination history.....he was probably a really nice guy, but the poor sod drove a van and I was convinced he was going to steal her...................I didn't let her out in the Garden on her own for the rest of the week - dozy mare!!:D

11. Petitepuppet

Petitepuppet PetForums VIP

Some chav once asked me how much for my bulldog. Vinnie was a rottweiler :rolleyes:

12. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Ive had three offers to buy Henrick and loads asking if he can stud their dog, I get looks of disgust when I say hes neutered. Ive only had one person in the whole year that Ive owned Bella say shes beautiful and nobody has offered to buy her :(

13. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I didn't think my two would be that desirable. Anyone with an eye for spaniels could tell Oscar is a cross and Hugo is an odd looking (but very cute obviously) little thing.

It supprises me how common this seems to be!

And I have types "supprise" so many times over the last couple of days and I still don't think I'm spelling it right.

14. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Yes when GSP was a pup. We were also asked if we would consider allowing GSP to be trained, he would be ours but this guy would work him.
    I was perturbed by the request to buy but curious and quiet flattered by the offer to train.

#14 northnsouth, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  15. LottieLab

LottieLab PetForums Senior

Someone once tried to steal Moto:eek:! Me and Julie should have let him, he'd have returned the little monster in a whhile:rolleyes:! Moto had just tone round the corner off-lead and hadn't come back. I went to check and this creepy thug/chavvy type had him in his arms and was walkin off towards his car:eek:! I called julie and he looked back, dropped Moto (lliterally!) and got into his car before driving away:huh:. Must have been from outside york, everybody knows what a devilish terror little Moto is;):001_tongue:!

16. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

Yep, once, Jess was about still a big puppy, but we went and had a go at some of the gundog stuff at a local show. Told what to do, got Jess interested in the dummy and she posted joint fastest time of the day. The guy who got fastest saw Jess do her stuff and offered money there and then. Even instited he gave me my number incase I changed my mind. :eek: He was told never too, He did say fair enough he wouln't part wioth her either though. ;) Proudest mummy ever!

I do worry and would never leave them outside a shop etc though.

17. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: Did you report it? I'd have gone MAD! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: How awful! :eek: Glad you got him back safe!

18. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I was offered an open cheque for one of my Labs at Crufts back in the 80's by a Chinese man:eek::eek:

19. LottieLab

LottieLab PetForums Senior

Had no idea who he was, Julie didn't see much point in telling the police as they wouldn't have any clues. Moto didn't really care, just another person to chew the fingers of. . .:rolleyes:;)!

20. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I've never had anyone try to buy Tummel...did have the idiot who tried to "present" his stuffy bitch to Tummel in Dundee city centre...needless to say nothing happened as we walked away :(

My parents love Tummel and would take him but not pay for him :eek:

To be honest I think I'd have to pay someone to take him!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice