Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has my baby been cannibalised?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by niki87, Mar 31, 2011.

1. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

My beautiful Neva has been eaten by her sisters and mother. Why? Would she have passed away first?

Am devastated.

All I have left is her head. She wasn't even cold.

Mum and the girls have had a lot of freedom as their cage wasn't meshed...plus it was too small...so I let them roam around in my rat proof room. But cos the lovely Rockromantic needed some boys for her Charlie rat i have moved the girls into theirs. Is it out of frustration? Would they really do that?

Why???

RIP my darling girl.

[​IMG]

2. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Omg I'm so sorry, I can't believe that they just left the head... I bet that was so horrible for you! RIP xxxx

3. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

I'm just so confused and devastated. It's one of the worst things Ive seen in my life!

4. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry that must have been an awful thing to find :(. Could it have been that they realised something was wrong that you haven't noticed? I don't know if rats do that though

6. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Thanks hun.

Maybe...they were all very active though. I am dumbfounded as to why she died but I really hope she did and they are just eating her body. Her eyes weren't fully closed though :(

7. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

oh hun im so sorry

given the chance and the inclination, rodents will canibalise dead friends and their own pups too, it is instinct, the smell of a dead body in the "nest" will alert predators to their presence, it is their instinct to remove all trace of the dead ones from the nest to prevent this

also if they sensed something was really wrong with her they may have killed her, but i would probably say they were just "cleaning up" so sorry hun

8. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

oh my days! Niki i am so so sorry :( this must be heartbreaking for you :( xxxx

9. billie jo

billie jo PetForums Member

Animals and people don't shut their eyes when they die honey - lets hope she died naturally and quickly and the others were indeed just cleaning up x

10. shells

shells PetForums VIP

i personaly dont know mutch about rats but as a kid my best mate had them and hers used to do this as soon as one took its last breath its a natural thing for them at least thats what my mate used to say. so sorry for your loss big (((((hugs)))))

11. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone for their warming thoughts!

And thank you billie-jo for the info on the eyes...I didn't actually know that!!

The rest seem OK this morning...there is no sign of fighting etc so am hoping what you are all saying is true.

I took the rest of the body out...even though they were still eating it...this was the right thing right...I didn't mean to halt any "closure" they might be having from that...but I was scared it would start rotting. By the way I am saying "it" referring to the carcass...I can't bear to think of Neva as what I saw last night :(

12. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would suggest planting a little flower as her memorial, dont think of her as the last time you saw her, rodents will 'get rid' of dead bodies hun its just natural, Ive had it happen with mice, my little Danger and Dickory were both partially eaten and there is no cage fighting with the mice so Im sure it was a post mortom thing, its a horrible thing to find ((hugs)) xx

13. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Will do...thanks hun! xx

14. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

you were fine to take the body out hun, it wont have caused any upset to the rest, and to be honest, i would have taken it out too.

try to remember her as she was alive, remember her for who she was, not how her body left this world

huge hugs to you hun

15. ArabiCoffee

ArabiCoffee PetForums Member

Oh I'm so sorry hun.
    I hope u start feeling better soon.

RIP little Neva...

16. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

RIP Neva :(

I'm so sorry Niki....just bear in mind where these bubs came from...there could have been something underlying that just suddenly ended her life and the others were just acting on instinct.

17. KalokiMallow

KalokiMallow PetForums Member

Oh ****, I am so so sorry to hear this! That's heartbreaking!

18. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

sorry for your loss, poor Neva.

as everyone else has suggested i reckon she most likely died of natural causes, especially if there were no fights or animosity between the hoard.

as sad and horrible to us as it is, try not to be too grossed out or devastated by the other rats eating Neva, it is definately the 'right' thing for them to do. Rats are scavengers and will eat whatever they can get their wee paws on.. I'm quite sure Neva doesn't mind in the slightest that her hoard-mates have decided to use her as a nutritional supplement.. remember the best food ANY omnivore/carnivore animal can eat is it's own kind, she has all the right vits and mins all her wee mates need. a tad minging but i like the thought that nothing in a rats world goes to waste.

Your hoard are also less likely to have separation issues, as they've seen her die and had their ritual.

I hope the rest of the hoard cheer you up.. just think of Neva in ratty heaven playing with everyone else's passed over hoards. Seriously, can you be sad thinking of 1000's of our rats playing in the best 'dump' ever with nana and other favourite treats in every nook they look into?

19. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

My cousins pet hamsters ate each other, well one ate the other... she was also devistated. She cried for hours and her mums friend had to remove all the gross parts and clean out the cage, they couldn't afford food (I gave her food most of the time but when my hamster Bart died she didn't get any ... why get a hamster if you can't afford one) RIP

20. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

Poor Neva :( RIP little one, run free at the bridge with all of your rattie friends.

Im so sorry Niki :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice