Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has anyone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dylan & Daisy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Ever driven or owned a smart car?

Curious to know what they are like as my niece is having driving lessons and seems keen on getting one when she passes :rolleyes:

2. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

A woman in work with my OH bought one and she had it for 2 weeks before selling it :eek:
    She hated it lol. Other than that though, i don't know what they're like :)

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive seen the results of Smart Car Vs 4WD.

I for one would never get in one.

4. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

my mums just got an automatic one last week and absoutly loves it its very nifty and seems quite big for what it is, she aint had any probs so far but like i said shes only had it since last week must say the dealers were s**t and took two months to get hold of one thats been made as they have stopped producing alot of them so its really hard to find one.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My oh once had a job driving a smart car around norwich for hours on end for an advertising company, he said for the amount of time he spent in the car, it was very comfy :) lol
    Just not the car for him.

I couldn't see myself in one, I just look at them and my brain goes ''where do the dogs sit??''

x

6. claire

claire Guest

My Dad works with crashes and says they are rubbish in an accident,

have a quick look at this

Smart Car Crash Test

7. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

my friend loves loves loves hers! they are hard to get parts for i think...

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Not surprising. Little more than a tupperware box on wheels.

9. claire

claire Guest

I agree, highly dangerous imo. My Dad is obsessed with safety standards as you would be if you spent all day sifting through wrecks some which were fatal accidents.
    His 2 worse cars are these and Citreon Saxos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3FdnWU5ecg

#9 claire, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
  10. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

One of my friends at college has one, she loves it to bits! It's good to drive, bigger than you'd think inside (quite a bit of leg room, big dashboard) and it's great for parking!

But Foxxy is right, she says it's quite hard to get parts for it, so when she has a problem with it (she doesn't often, its quite reliable) she sometimes has to go carless for a bit!

They're nice little cars! Is she looking at buying a brand new one or getting an older one? Cos for the money of a brand new Smart car, she'd probably be better with the Toyota IQ, they seem really good..... I want one when I pass but I can't afford it :(

...that crash video is unbelieveable! The entire front of the car is just obliterated.... anyone sat in there would end up across the street :eek: :eek: good job my friend is a good driver :eek:

#10 Tigerneko, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  11. Reminds me of a dodgem!:D:D belongs in a fairground imo!
    lol
    DT

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If someone in one was involved in an accident, theres no way they would survive. If they did, they would most likely suffer severe injuries.

In the accident i saw, the driver of the Smart Car was obliterated.

13. claire

claire Guest

:eek:
    I totally agree, i really would want anyone i loved driving one esp on the motorway :eek: :eek:

14. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone......i dont know much about them but have always wondered how good/safe they were. I know they're quite roomy lol and a bit funky too but maybe she needs to think about it more :D

15. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i wouldn't let my kid in one (if i had a kid) me and husband would certainly refuse to get a lift in one.

Not only do they NOT have a crumple zone (all the impact goes through the car and hence through the driver causing untold damage to them).

It's wheel base is so short, ice and water on the road become an increased danger.
    A neighbour of ours skidded on some ice that a normal car in front of her went over faster and had no problems, she skidded and went into a hedge and fence, she had to be cut out of the smart car, took 2 hours, she had to have her LEGS pinned, she now has a permanent limp, she was doing 30.

If your mates daughter wants a small car get something small with an ncap4 at least and a crumple zone.
    I recommend any VAG group car, seats especially, i know for a fact that if they roll you can open the door and walk away.
    2 mates have rolled their Ibeza's, safely doing 50/60 on country backs they drive everyday, both accidents due to weather conditions not speeding and have both walked out seconds after the accidents with minor cuts, bruises and sore muscles, one even went through a dry stone wall! Cars totalled, they're totally fine and both have seats again.

16. SemolinaPilchard

SemolinaPilchard PetForums Member

Tell her she cant have one......i wont allow it ;)

17. RacingSnake

RacingSnake PetForums Junior

I came across this old thread whilst searching for something else, but I thought I'd just resurrect it incase anyone else brought it up and made an ill-formed judgement based on the speclative lack of facts here :D

The smarts are actually very well designed, you're sat in a very very strong cage, there is an impact zone in the smart, but it's designed to channel the energy through the car instead of through your legs.
    Please don't just say 'it's poor' without performing any sort of research!
    you'll actually see it's pretty good with a 4 star rating.
    Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Smart fortwo

as for recommending VAG cars, well, the lupo actually faired WORSE than the smart.
    still 4 stars, but if we're going to split hairs, it's 26 for the lupo vs 28 for the smart.

god I love the internet, it's full of factual goodness.

in summary, do your own research into the safety of cars, and not the hear say of peopel who haven't actually owned/worked on these cars. :)

(no offence intended to anyone on here by the way, just felt the thread needed balancing out, even if it is 5 months later :D )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice