Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has anyone used the Petloc lead and collar?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cherie Draper, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Cherie Draper

Cherie Draper PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any experience of the petloc system? The collar and the lead? Before I am berated by anyone because I do tie my dog outside my local shop, don’t bother, one of the moderators has already done that . I don’t need anyone’s opinion on that, just the Petloc! Thanks guys!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Unfortunately, on a public forum you can’t dictate what responses you receive.

Leaving your dog outside a shop is madness.

A pair of bolt cutters will render the device useless and dog thieves usually go prepared, especially at the moment.

3. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi I’ve never used it so have no idea. I would never leave a dog tied up outside a shop it’s far too dangerous. If I was you I’d work on ways of getting your dog ok with being left in the house.

Cherie Draper likes this.
  4. Cherie Draper

Hi thanks so much for your reply! It’s good if you to take the time! Seems you know much more than me about this! Luckily I don’t really live in an area where people lurk but you never know do you?
    So I can’t leave her alone at home, I don’t have a car, just my legs and a bike! It’s a 45 minute walk there and back to the shop you see! What would you do? Genuinely after some good advice!

5. Cherie Draper

Awww it’s shame, I’m really after some good honest reviews on the product! It’s a terrible shame we live in a world where we have to even think of this! Don’t you agree?! Stunning actually the levels people stoop to! But I have worked on this, for the last 12 months since my other dog died, but to no avail. I have had three trainers. Done as much as I can but to know avail. Any suggestions! I see you’re a senior so you must be brimming with knowledge. Thanks for your time. It’s a precious thing

6. Cherie Draper

And I am sincerely sorry if you think I was dictating. Imagine!! It was a request! It’s such a shame to waste time replying if you can’t help!

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Shop with a friend so we could take turns to hold the dog outside while the other shops.

Ask a friend or family to get me a few bits.

Ask a friend or family to dog sit.

Walk with dog to the local shop and ask at the door for some assistance. Many are doing Click & Collect at the moment.

Get a delivery.

All whilst working on teaching the dog to be ok when left.... it took about 3 weeks of regular daily positive training for my rescue to be happy alone for a couple of hours.

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

It was hardly a berating....

Having had a good Google and online investigate, my initial thoughts are what would happen in an situation where you had to release your dog for whatever reason? If the collar is loose enough to slip over the head in an emergency, it'd be no good for your needs, and if tight enough to stay on with plenty of wriggling, the dog would be at risk from more than just escaping or getting stolen while unattended.
    The lead alone would be pretty useless as outside a shop theft prevention since a normal collar or harness could just be unclipped

Leaving any dog unattended in a public place not only puts them at risk of being stolen, but there's also a chance of being attacked or otherwise injured, frightening somebody just minding their own business, biting a person or other dog (or even just being accused of it) - lots to consider, especially if she's out of your line of sight for more than a few seconds!

Is there a reason she can't be left at home?
    Or do you have somebody trustworthy that would walk with you or meet up outside the shop to guard her?
    Ordering online?
    Dog sitter?

9. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Yes it is a shame but sadly it’s reality. I’d use a behaviourist instead of a trainer, your vet should be able to point you in the direction of a good one

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe lose the attitude?

You’ll get on much better on the forum (and in life) if you remain polite ;)

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What have you tried?

Maybe we can offer some advice.

O2.0 likes this.
  12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I dont think i have seen any forum members using or talking about the pet lock system. I used to tie my old dog up all the time outside shops back in the 80s/90s and never a problem.

And i still very occasionally do it at a couple of particular local shops even now. So i definitely wont berate you because you have to judge your own area and situation.

But, since these dog thefts have shot up, i havent left them for a few weeks. We are a country area but we have had dogs taken from the village next to mine.

So, i do agree with the others that you need to get someone to watch your dog for you when in the shops til all this settles right down again.

Or train your dog to be comfortable left at home. Not ideal i know but dog theft is rife just now.

Otherwise, you will just need to try the perlok system and come back here to review which will help others:)

Lurcherlad and Cherie Draper like this.
  13. Cherie Draper

Gosh you are an expert. Good to have people like you on here! It’s been a year since my other dog died and I’ve had three trainers, to now avail!! I don’t think it’s a friends responsibly to babysit my dog every two days!! I don’t have a car, so I do little shops, click and collect would take me a couple of hours to cycle too.
    Did you read about the spate of people having their dogs stolen whilst walking? So now I don’t think it even safe to walk, what do you think? I think an old chap was BEATEN up.

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Ok.

Good luck.

Cherie Draper likes this.
  15. Cherie Draper

Yea we had two behaviourists. It’s very difficult with it being a pandemic! She goes to my mums three days a week as I’m an intensive care nurse, so she’s been a dream helping out. But no-one wants to come in an intensive care nurses houses when I’ve been bathing in COVID

16. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

There really is no need to be so rude at all.

Could you not shop on the way home from work while she's already being looked after elsewhere?

17. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

What's with the over snarky attitude?

The Petloc website says:
    "Think twice before leaving your dog tied up outside a shop. You will make them a vulnerable and tempting target for opportunist thieves if they are not tied securely with a locking device, such as Petloc™."

...and even that looks like all you'd need is a pair of scissors and it would be gone.

18. Cherie Draper

Ah I can call at the local shop yes but I do 13.5 hour shifts. I want to shower rather than waft my germs around! It’s a difficult situation. My local Tesco would be Closed by the time I walked there at that time! I mentioned to the other responder about the worrying times with dog theft, it’s getting so bad isn’t it, dogs been stolen whilst out walking!! An old chap was BEATEN!! Can you imagine!? It’s on sky news if you haven’t seen it!

I think soon it’s just going to be safest never to even walk the dog!! Certainly it seems irresponsible to let them off the lead but then I worry about the health issues these poor dogs will develop without getting any cardiovascular exercise. We don’t want a society of obese dogs with heart disease!! We should perhaps fund a dog police force in parks, though I walk on the moors so it’s not too bad up there I guess but you can’t be sure can you!! But then we’d all be gathering until he same parks spreading Covid. Life is so tough right now. Can’t see family and friends. Can’t shop in safety. Can’t walk the poor dog. We do everything in fear.

19. Cherie Draper

Hi Gemma!! Thanks for taking the time to reply! What do you mean sarcastic? I don’t want to upset anyone!! That would be A terrible thing to do! I only want a good chat about the petloc product and am having a few conversations. Sorry if I’ve upset you. Imagine being that kind of person.

20. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its got a steel cable through it to prevent that.

For me, its not just about theft, its about people feeding stuff, and generally interfering with other peoples animals.

I dont see how a dog can be left alone in an alien environment (outside a shop) but cant be left at home alone and safe. I would have thought being tied up would be far more stressful.

I would simply be booking a home delivery.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice