UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I brought Poppy home from the vets today following the removal of her lump, I was given some Fuciderm Gel.

The operation site was "clipped" (according to the vet) but the skin is so smooth where the fur was removed maybe it was shaved. It's a large area which goes right up to her ear. The vet told me that right by her ear she had a "rash" and to use the Fuciderm Gel.

Since coming home I have put the recommended "band" cut from the panty part of a pair of tights on Poppy which the vet suggested to stop her scratching. It's sort of rolled up into a narrower band now but it seems to be doing the job and it's nice and soft, not tight, and lets the air get to the wound.

Poppy's barely moved all evening, just from her bed to the sofa really. She's not dopey from the GA though. I've carried her over to a grassy area for a wee as I can't use her collar and lead yet but she's just lying down, wont move at all (so no wee since 8.30 this morning). I put this down to the band round her neck as she absolutely hates anything on her other than her normal collar, she's not the sort you could put a coat on and she wont wear a harness so I wasn't really surprised.

I moved the band to check everything's OK and saw how red this area of "rash" is. I also noticed that some of the fur from her ear seemed to be stuck in with the stitches, not matted with blood or anything but as though it was caught in the stitch. I wondered if this is why she's hardly moved so I've cut that bit of hair but will leave it for the vet to sort out on Friday as I don't want to do any damage.

As it looks so sore I got a little of the Fuciderm Gel and as soon as I put it on where she has the rash she immediately jerked her head away, I hadn't even got as far as trying to dab it or rub it in, it was as the gel touched the rash. She ran into her bed and started digging around, the sort of digging she does when she's excited and I was wondering if it's so sore that applying the gel has really hurt. I've tried a couple of times but she just keeps jerking her head and giving me those sort of frightened wild eyes.

Has anyone had this experience with Fuciderm Gel, or any thoughts?

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
I have used it on Roo a lot, he will flinch and pull away but I think it's because it's cool and stings. My vets recommend you apply it before dinner or a walk so they are quickly distracted. Rubbing it in also helps get the sting over with.

Her redness isn't too bad I wouldn't be massively worried if she refuses to have it on, but you can always ring your vets and ask they should tell you over the phone if you can monitor it instead.

Oh also, you should apply it very very thinly too :)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used it on Roo a lot, he will flinch and pull away but I think it's because it's cool and stings. My vets recommend you apply it before dinner or a walk so they are quickly distracted. Rubbing it in also helps get the sting over with.

Her redness isn't too bad I wouldn't be massively worried if she refuses to have it on, but you can always ring your vets and ask they should tell you over the phone if you can monitor it instead.
Thanks GS. STING! That was the word I was looking for, I just couldn't bring it to mind - senior moment :eek:.

Reading the leaflet it says to wear one-use disposable gloves to apply it. That sort of thing always makes me wonder what it can do to your skin if it's supposed to be treating a skin condition.

I'll see how it goes in the morning. She's really fallen out with me so hopefully she'll have forgiven me in the morning and we can try again. Failing that I'll discuss it with the vet on Friday. I think it was prescribed as a precaution anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
fuciderm is a steroids based cream that will help with mild irritation caused by "clipper rash" as mentioned above it does sting a little on application. in relation to clipping and shaving vets don't use razors..the clippers are like hair dressers ones and are able to take the hair down to a length that's level with the skin. hope this helps...ps you should be using gloves with the cream.the gloves are to stop the steroid being absorbed into your skin instead of the dogs...making it less effective .

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
To me the 'rash' seems like a clipper 'burn' where they have clipped a little too short and it has nicked the skin if that makes sense, pretty much a razor burn that we can get from shaving. Now I haven't personally used fuciderm on myself but I know for the first 24hrs after giving myself razor burn (a common occurence) if I try to put ANYTHING on it even mild moistoriser it hurts like hell so maybe wait until tomorrow and try again?!

G

·
I've used it on my dog's and Louie does not like it, she recognises the tube and does a runner, but it does the job, I agree with very very thinly spread and use gloves if applying multiple times a day.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fuciderm is a steroids based cream that will help with mild irritation caused by "clipper rash" as mentioned above it does sting a little on application. in relation to clipping and shaving vets don't use razors..the clippers are like hair dressers ones and are able to take the hair down to a length that's level with the skin. hope this helps...ps you should be using gloves with the cream.the gloves are to stop the steroid being absorbed into your skin instead of the dogs...making it less effective .
Thanks for clearing that up.

To me the 'rash' seems like a clipper 'burn' where they have clipped a little too short and it has nicked the skin if that makes sense, pretty much a razor burn that we can get from shaving. Now I haven't personally used fuciderm on myself but I know for the first 24hrs after giving myself razor burn (a common occurence) if I try to put ANYTHING on it even mild moistoriser it hurts like hell so maybe wait until tomorrow and try again?!
That's what I was thinking, not enough to make it bleed but enough to maybe scrape the skin. Must be really sore.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Fuciderm is not just an antibiotic its also got corticosteroids in it as well.
As far as Ive always been told it shouldnt be used on open wounds. Just checked up on Noah Compendium to be sure and found this which seems to confirm it

Corticosteroids may delay wound healing and the immunosuppressant action may weaken resistance to or exacerbate existing infections. In the presence of viral infections, steroids may worsen or hasten the progress of the disease.

Do not use in animals with hypersensitivity to any of the components. Discontinue use if hypersensitivity develops to the product.

Uses

For the topical treatment of surface pyoderma in the dog, such as acute moist dermatitis ('hot spots') and intertrigo (skin fold dermatitis).

Personally I would keep it well away from the incision and suture line and just use it on the skin area around it.

I would also only use it if you really have too.

NOAH Compendium of Animal Medicines: Fuciderm® Gel 0.5% w/w Fusidic acid, 0.1% w/w Betamethasone - Contraindications, warnings, etc

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I would say thats exactly what it is they have gone too close with the clippers and caused it you can still get a type of razor burn even with clippers. I have to have the dogs shaved for regular blood tests and my normal vet is brill and I usually never have it, however on a couple of occasions when he hasnt done it they have done the same thing clippered it too close. Iv e just used aloe vera gel 100% and thats done the trick just on the surrounding area not on the incision and suture line though.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I get eczema on my eyelids, everything irritates and docs wont give me anything stronger that 1% hydrocortisone.....reluctantly which doesnt help.
I then use fuciderm which reduces itch and inflammation straight away and completely rids me of it within days.
Fab stuff use it frequently for all kinds as do my colleagues.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fuciderm is not just an antibiotic its also got corticosteroids in it as well.
As far as Ive always been told it shouldnt be used on open wounds. Just checked up on Noah Compendium to be sure and found this which seems to confirm it

Corticosteroids may delay wound healing and the immunosuppressant action may weaken resistance to or exacerbate existing infections. In the presence of viral infections, steroids may worsen or hasten the progress of the disease.

Do not use in animals with hypersensitivity to any of the components. Discontinue use if hypersensitivity develops to the product.

Uses

For the topical treatment of surface pyoderma in the dog, such as acute moist dermatitis ('hot spots') and intertrigo (skin fold dermatitis).

Personally I would keep it well away from the incision and suture line and just use it on the skin area around it.

I would also only use it if you really have too.

NOAH Compendium of Animal Medicines: Fuciderm® Gel 0.5% w/w Fusidic acid, 0.1% w/w Betamethasone - Contraindications, warnings, etc
I would say thats exactly what it is they have gone too close with the clippers and caused it you can still get a type of razor burn even with clippers. I have to have the dogs shaved for regular blood tests and my normal vet is brill and I usually never have it, however on a couple of occasions when he hasnt done it they have done the same thing clippered it too close. Iv e just used aloe vera gel 100% and thats done the trick just on the surrounding area not on the incision and suture line though.
It's not for the incision or suture line SDH, it's for the clipper burn right by her ear :).

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
It's not for the incision or suture line SDH, it's for the clipper burn right by her ear :).
Should be OK then, I was worried it had gone on the incision and suture line.
Just keep an eye on it as it does say some dogs can be hyper sensitive, this lot have had clipper burns and aloe vera gel does the trick otherwise.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
I don't bother wearing gloves. If Rupert can have it on his skin I don't care about my hands for 20 seconds before I was it off.

Usually it works wonders but I think Roo is near enough resistant to it :(

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It doesn't look quite so angry this morning so I shall ditch the Fuciderm Gel. I have remembered, however, that I have some MooGoo cream that I first discovered in Australia a few years ago, all natural and originally made for healing cows' udders and then adapted for skin problems in humans. I got the eczema and psoriasis version and as I occasionally use it on myself I know it doesn't sting, plus I'd previously asked them if it is OK to use on dogs. So I've used that this morning and after initially thinking I was going to put the other stuff on again which would sting she backed away, but once I managed to get it on she was fine and allowed me to gently rub it in.

It's a very interesting site if anyone wants to look Home | MooGoo Skincare.

Thinking about it, the Fuciderm Gel cost me over £17 for a small tube yesterday. The large tube of MooGoo cream, including postage from Australia, probably didn't cost that much.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should be OK then, I was worried it had gone on the incision and suture line.
Just keep an eye on it as it does say some dogs can be hyper sensitive, this lot have had clipper burns and aloe vera gel does the trick otherwise.
As she seems to have some of the fur off her ears caught up in either the incision or the stitches, would you get her back to the vets today or wait until tomorrow morning's appointment.

I also noticed that some of the fur from her ear seemed to be stuck in with the stitches, not matted with blood or anything but as though it was caught in the stitch. I wondered if this is why she's hardly moved so I've cut that bit of hair but will leave it for the vet to sort out on Friday as I don't want to do any damage.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks DG, I've just ordered Rupert the Irritable Skin one, hope its £20 well spent I'd love something to work for him that is non steroid :(
You're very welcome GS. I hope it works for Rupert. I'm always on the lookout for natural things for myself, just wish I'd thought about it yesterday and told the vet I'd rather try that. Probably wouldn't have been impressed anyway, I think they like to stick to what science tells them.

Even if it doesn't help Rupert you will have a great cream in your medical box for anyone else to use if need be.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
You're very welcome GS. I hope it works for Rupert. I'm always on the lookout for natural things for myself, just wish I'd thought about it yesterday and told the vet I'd rather try that. Probably wouldn't have been impressed anyway, I think they like to stick to what science tells them.

Even if it doesn't help Rupert you will have a great cream in your medical box for anyone else to use if need be.
Indeed, and I can understand their logic, using something that *definitely* will work. Like I said though I think Roo is becoming immune to Fuciderm. In tiny doses stuff is more passable I guess. Hopefully the MooGoo will work on my shin if it doesn't on Rupert anyway :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.