Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has Anyone Used AI?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jess2308, May 18, 2010.

1. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Hi There,

Has anyone used AI with chilled semen? I am looking for information on any vets/clinics that do this and am struggling to find any so if anyone has a recommendation that would be great. Also the rough cost of the insemination (excluding stud fee, collection and handling).

Thanks,

Jess

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

If you try contacting these guys, they may be able to help

Stud Dogs

Also, Jackie Hodge, Naiken Labradors has recently used AI on one of her bitches and produced a super Champion dog - so maybe worth talking to if you want help on the overall experience

3. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the link.

Im pretty sure Jackie took her bitch overseas for the insemination (not sure why, just remember her mentioning it) which im not able to do as my girl doesnt have a passport, but it would certainly be worth me contacting her for some info, thanks :)

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

5. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Thats more to do with collection and storage of frozen semen. Im looking for somewhere that will actually do the insemination, but thanks anyway :D

6. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

i dont have a link but im sure there is a place in coventry......

im sure pommum told me if you drop her a message....

im going to be watching this as maybe it may be an option for me....

Jesse are you thinking of importing if so may i ask where from?

7. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I have a feeling they do that too, I think I contacted them once. Tweed House vets in Leeds do it, they're very good.

8. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

DOH! - OK - I know who you are now :lol:

There must be someone in your area who has used it - I don't think Penny ever has, but she might be able to advise.

Also, RS - although I do think his bitches have gone overseas and then come back

9. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

I asked Ed a while ago and he said that the bitches had been sent overseas and had natural mating and came back, but maybe they have done AI since. Will see who is around to ask at SKC as we have a lab entered :D

Will PM Pommum and see if she can help! :) Im hoping to use an overseas dog but dont want to import one so looking into AI to see if that is a sensible route to take to add some good quality bloodlines and get a nice litter :)

Coventry is only about 45 mins from me so that would be ideal! Leeds is another option too though, thanks guys! :D

10. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Is this for one of your Labs? If it is, what I would say, is that a lot of the overseas dogs come over for the summer shows, I don't know when you are looking at, but if you have a particular dog in mind, it might be worth biting the bullet and contacting the breeder in question.

I considered this route with one of RS own bred dogs who is overseas - but decided on a UK dog in the end, but definitely worth asking, if the dog happens to be in the UK it will be a LOT cheaper than AI.

I think the rules have now relaxed on AI with the KC as well, and it can be used on maiden bitches.

11. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

i am about 80% sure it was coventry or leicester......

importing semen from usa is defo something i would be interested on how this goes

12. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

No, its for a basenji. We are very, very limited for choice on studs as the gene pool is very small anyway and the ones I do like that may be suitable are not health tested or not good results which rules them out!! It is a minefield finding a husband! Have picked a stud (on recommendation) and they are happy to ship the semen as they like the look of my girl and know of her, but I just need to work ouut what I need to do this end and what the cost will end up being! :D

I will probably contact the KC in the morning just to check they will definately register the litter (should do as my reasons for breeding using AI meet all their criteria!!) and double check the process from their side.

13. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

The dog im planning on is not from the USA ;) But i shall say no more, dont want to jinx it all :lol:

14. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

One of my puppy owners is in the middle of doing this.

15. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Sorry to but in, do you know Jackie? I do too:D
    Had a bitch from her back in 1989, she started showing at the same time as me:D

16. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Blimey Jess, it only seems like two minutes since the Basenji was a tiny baby - where does the time go? It can be hard enough finding the right dog in a big gene pool, fingers crossed you get what you want

Yes I know Jackie, although the OP actually knows her a lot better than I do - small world.

17. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Yes, its a nightmare finding the right dog. For this decision I have listened to advice from others who know far more about breeding basenji's that I do :D The dog is absolutely stunning though and exactly the type I like, very similar to my girl - lean, elegant and fantastic movement :) If everything goes to plan I hope to have a fantastic litter.

18. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Well, I live in Ireland & my OH's dad went up to the North of Ireland to get AI done on his staffy bitch last year-I'm not sure if Northern Ireland would be an option for you, but I could try & find out more details for you if you like? As far as I know the semen was from the UK

19. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I'll be watching this thread with interest as that is probably the route I'll be going down for Belle's 2nd litter.

I hope it all works out for you Jess:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice