Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has anyone tried Purina Proplan Hydra Care?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by TriTri, Oct 13, 2020.

1. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Have you tried asking for a sample?

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

This new product that you linked @TriTri seems an admission by a major cat food manufacturer that dry food alone is not good for cats {because they're not designed to drink a lot of water, and so there is the risk of chronic low level dehydration}. So from that POV I am all for it! :)

However, looking at the list of ingredients it contains guar gum which some people prefer to avoid in their cats' diet. [See link for explanation why]

Ingredients
    Water, glycine, whey protein isolate, glycerin, guar gum, liver flavour, natural flavour, potassium chloride. B250220

http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and...-food-products-ingredients-to-avoid/guar-gum/

Supplementing potassium chloride could possibly be a problem, depending on how much potassium is in each pouch, and how much potassium is in the other foods the cat is eating.

Too much potassium in the blood can cause hyperkalemia. In a cat who has CKD it is the case that potassium can be lost in the urine if the cat is peeing a lot. But my vet stated I must not supplement the diet of my CKD cats with potassium without a blood test to establish their potassium levels.

Pet MD says the following :
    "One cause of hyperkalemia has been linked to low potassium elimination from the body, which may be related to anuric (absence or defective excretion of urine) or oliguric (scanty urine production, renal failure) conditions."

https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/cardiovascular/c_ct_hyperkalemia

A food containing a potassium chloride supplement might be OK to give to a cat who is under vet supervision. I would want to check with the vet first before giving it. :)

#3 chillminx, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    TriTri likes this.
  4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi, no I haven’t. I was thinking to read up some more on it and hope to hear from someone that’s used it for their cat. I read when a cat licks water, each lick is just 3/100 of a teaspoon of water intake only.... I later read that by taking this product, it was equivalent to the cat taking in 28% more moisture or water. I didn’t think that sounded much still, but thought anything “extra” must be better than nothing, so I thought I’d post here to hear more and see how much 28% extra really is?
    @chillminx thanks for your reply, but how disappointing. I’ve done a lot more reading up on this since reading your post, and not only is it disappointing to hear it’s in cat food, but I also read it’s near impossible to avoid finding it in cat foods. Someone said therefore provide homemade meals to avoid it, but then I’ve also heard so many homemade meals don’t have all the right supplements in, in the right quantities.

So! So tonight, Max had three small plates of food down, one wet food, one of roast turkey with Felini Complete in and another roast turkey with krill oil in (I was reminded to use the krill oil by another thread on here today or tonight)! I’m pleased to say he ate all three small meals, supplements in-all. I did think if he was ill after, I wouldn’t know which of the two supplements would have caused it, but so far he’s been fine. He also had a bowl of mineral water down, but he didn’t touch any of that. I was considering reducing his turkey intake as his creatinine was at the high end of normal recently, but his SDMA test came back as normal, so presumably his kidneys are just about ok for the time being(?) He’s vomited a few times lately and I don’t know why and could just be something he has eaten outside. My new vet’s seem very inexperienced, so I’m trying to avoid them at the moment, preferably until Max has his vaccinations and a health check which is due later this month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice