Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has anyone tried Hypnotherapy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by abbieandchi, Jan 15, 2012.

1. abbieandchi

abbieandchi PetForums Senior

I've got an immense fear of being sick, I've had it for as long as I can remember but it's recently started to get worse (smelling everything to check if it's gone off, checking dates and not eating anything if it's gone by even a day, never drinking, never eating to the point that I get stuffed etc)

My OH's mum works at a health clinic as an Acupuncturist and she recommended me to a lady who does hypnotherapy. This was about 4/5 months ago and I was extremely skeptical but seeing as things have got worse I've taken the plunge and made myself an appointment for Thursday. Even if it retains it slightly I'll be happy, I'm just at breaking point by letting this irrational fear take over my life.

Has anyone tried hypnotherapy for a fear? What exactly happened and did you get any relief?

2. abbieandchi

Shameless bump :eek:

I'm so scared of thinking that it will make the slightest difference to find it really doesn't :(

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yep tried it for stopping smoking, didnt work.

Then went on holiday to Spain and was hypnotised by some mad spanish man on stage, never been so embarassed in all my life, and he recorded it:eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. abbieandchi

Oh that's dissapointing. What was the process like in general?

5. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I have had hypnotherapy about 10 years ago - it did help - it didnt make everything vanish, but it helped with coping :)

You can PM me if you want details - not something I want to go into here :)

6. abbieandchi

Thank you, I've sent you a PM.

7. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I'm curious now :p

8. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Dont even ask:eek::eek::eek::eek: apparentley some of the things I did were a bit errrrr:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Put it this way, I still start dancing to Hey Big Spender whenever I here it:eek::eek::eek:

9. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Cant believe you just posted that - just waiting for all the people that know how to post YouTube videos........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

No they dont know which video it is:eek::eek:

11. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

i know someone who got it done to stop smoking
    worked a treat they could no longer stand the smell of it

i think if your open to it and believe it will work then there is more chance of it working than if you are sceptical

apparently some people can be hypnotised and some just cant

12. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Just checked youtube, Im not on there:D:D

13. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I was just waiting for someone to post the song.....

If only it could play without you having to click on it... ;) :lol: :lol:

14. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

I have had hypnotherapy and it was fantastic! I had an irrational fear of driving and was also a very bad passenger. I tended to have panic attacks at the thought of driving and shake so bad! I did an intensive driving course when I was 21 hoping immersion therapy would do the trick, only positive thing to come out of that was I passed my test and vowed to never get in a car again :eek:

So a good few years later I had 3 kids and really needed to drive so I went to a hypnotherapist, I booked and paid for 6 sessions. By session 4 I had bought a car and was driving with no problems so I guess it worked for me :)

However, after 6 years of living in Asia and the completely crazy driving over here I think I have become scared of driving again, will have to wait and see when/if we move back!

Good luck with your session and hopefully you have a good hypnotherapist and it helps a little!

15. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Still getting your kit off when you see a magpie then?...or have they cured that?...:eek:ut:

16. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

I've had hypnotherapy and it has made a huge difference to me.

The first time was for a spider phobia. I've gone from freezing and feeling the world has come to an end if i know there's is a spider around to not really bothering about them. I still couldn't pick up a big spider and i still move if one comes towards me but i have one in the kitchen at the moment and i don't mind at all, in fact i look for her each day to say good morning!

I can now pick up small spiders and find them really cute and spider webs are now fascinating instead of panic inducing - i love to pull thick pieces off and play with them (sorry spiders) :rolleyes:

It was so successful that i went back to try to reduce my horse riding fears - i was a very, very nervous rider - panicked, tipped forward and grabbed the saddle at the slightest thing and i'd been like this for years.

Won't bore you with all the details but i'm now massively more confident, can ride a much wider range of horses and have not felt the desire to grab the saddle at all since the hypnotherapy - not even when horses have run off with me or i've lost my stirrups, and i haven't had one single panic. Both myself and my instructor have been amazed at the difference.

As for needing to believe in it for it to work, i don't think you do. I'm a real skeptic - i don't believe in anything unless i'm given solid scientific proof that it works. I don't believe in any alternative therapies and i only went originally out of sheer desperation as my life was being made miserable by the spider phobia - i really didn't believe it would work and when the therapist started i almost got up and walked out because i thought the whole thing was so stupid.

The research that has been done into hypnotherapy is a bit mixed but it does seem to indicate that it works for phobias, however it does not work for everybody - the evidence suggests about 85% of people will see some improvement. There is no evidence it works for smoking.

You do have to be careful. One therapist i went to was terrible and very intimidating (and very expensive). Hypnotherapists are not regulated. The one who i found very helpful used NLP techniques and does some work for the NHS. He's in Birmingham and if you're anywhere near i would highly recommend him. Let me know if you want details.

It's definately worth a try for your sickness phobia. Best of luck for Thursday :)

#16 ameliajane, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  17. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

Me and the ex mother in law tried it to lose weight, went a few times but it didnt work for either of us

18. willa

willa PetForums VIP

I've had it for driving test anxiety. Used to get in such a state before my driving test, nightmares,nausea,unble to eat & sleep. Ny last couple of attempts i refused to even attempt the test :eek:

Had 3 sessions of Hypnotherapy leading up to my final Test. Was also given a a relaxtion CD to listen to the mornning of my Test. I felt SO much calmer & i passed with ease !

god i sound pathetic :eek: even now if i see someone on their Test,i get a sicky feeling in my stomach ! lol

#18 willa, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice