Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has anyone tried Dog Gone Smart beds?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ThePetExpress, Jun 4, 2010.

1. ThePetExpress

ThePetExpress PetForums Junior

Hi There,

I hope this isn't inappropriate, since technically you could call it market research (Admins - please delete if not allowed), but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of Dog Gone Smart products?

Dog Gone Smart (Dog Gone Smart Beds) make a range of dog beds, crate pads, leads, coats etc, that use a special fabric of their's, which they claim is dirt and odour repellent, biodegradable, easy to wash etc, and I'm trying to find out if anyone can vouch for these claims or not.

We have recently started stocking their products and they sound absolutely fantastic, and I'd really like to promote them as much as possible, but we've not got any first hand experience of using them, so don't know if they are as good in real life as in the demonstration videos.

If it isn't too rude to ask, I was wondering if anyone has tried them and would be willing to share their experiences here, so that we can get a little feedback and decide whether to recommend them to our customers or not.

Thanks very much :)

P.S The ranges I'm particularly interested in are the ones we have here: http://www.thepetexpress.co.uk/index.php?p=2_6_1&pid=158&gr=&m=7&keywords2=dog gone smart&nolimit=1 but if you've used any of the other lines, we'd love to hear about them too. Thanks!

2. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

£64.99 for a blanket? :eek:

3. ThePetExpress

Indeed, the RRPs on them are quite high, so we need to know that they are worth the money before recommending them to customers. The reviews cited on the Dog Gone Smart website suggest that they are worth the money, but we'd like to hear it from impartial sources :)

4. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

I had one til last week :( I still have the cover :rolleyes:

I got mine quite a while ago now, the cover is supposedly waterproof but I didn't find that to be true after my cat weed on it and I had to chuck the whole inside away. Was too big for my washing machne and too heavy when wet to try and handwash. :frown:

It was a massive bed and my dog loved it te quality was really good, just a shame I had to throw it out, maybe I should contact the manufacturers?

I had this one in brown with a cream piped edging, Pets At home was where I got mine from in May 09.

http://www.doggonesmartbed.com/index_sub.php?did=41

5. ThePetExpress

It might be worth speaking to them about that actually, London Dogwalker. Although it doesn't say anywhere specifically about them being cat wee proof, it is sort of suggested.

Did you follow the care instructions as mentioned here? Dog Gone Smart Beds > Care Instructions

I've been in regular contact with them recently and they've always been both pleasant and helpful, so it is worth discussing it with them. Apart from anything else, it might give them ideas for improvement. If you are on Twitter, I find they respond pretty quickly to questions put to them on there. They are @DogGoneSmart. Alternatively, I'm sure they are just as good via their email address info@doggonesmartbed.com

If you get anywhere with them I'd love to hear what the outcome is, if you don't mind sharing :)

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I don't think I'd risk the £65...my dog likes to dig in his bed and I don't feel convinced that thing would hold up. In 10 months he had 13 beds (ended up being the cheaper big cushions) and now he just has a semi shredded one and blankets.

If I could be assured he really wouldn't stand much chance of wrecking it I would consider buying one, just doesn't look overly durable for me :(

7. ThePetExpress

I see you point Tinsley, it'd be a lot of money for something that doesn't last. Hopefully we'll hear from someone who can tell us that it withstood their dog's attacks and is more sturdy than most. We'll see...

8. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I can't find the price list :confused:

If they're not 'waterproof' or 'cat wee' proof then I would probably not be tempted unless they were cheap enough to replace regulalry. We have elderly cats, so all beds need to be washable or waterproof.

I also have a giant breed, so I'm guessing by the price of the blanket that anything for my dog would be too expensive.

9. London Dogwalker

My dog scrabbles at her beds and she didn't manage to rip this one. :)

I'll drop them an email once I've measured which one I had. :D

10. ThePetExpress

Hi alaun,

Dog Gone Smart don't produce a published price list on their website, but you can get an idea of the prices from our site: http://www.thepetexpress.co.uk/index.php?p=2_6_1&pid=158&gr=&m=7&keywords2=dog gone smart&nolimit=1

DGS put a lot of emphasis on the waterproof and washable qualities of the fabrics they use, as can be seen in the demonstration videos on their site. Hopefully we'll get an answer about why they didn't survive London Dogwalker's cat wee incident and can perhaps form some sort of judgement from that.

London Dogwalker, I'm pleased to hear your bed proved too strong to be ripped, most encouraging. I hope you get a fast response to your email.

11. London Dogwalker

Oh they're lovely lovely beds, don't seem to get the dirt stuck to them it just brushes off, something to do with the techno-fabric I'd wager. :D

I was bored so emailed them, we'll see ey?

12. ThePetExpress

That's good to hear, the dirt repellent feature sounded very impressive, so it is good to know they aren't exaggerating it ;)

Have you heard anything back from them yet?

13. ThePetExpress

In case anyone is interested, we've just added the Olive and Red colours to our bed range, the same as for the crate pads. Details here:

A Greater Offering from Dog Gone Smart | The Pet Expert

Thank you very much to everyone for your contributions on this thread, it has been really helpful hearing the opinions of real dog owners :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice