Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has anyone tried acupuncture ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kittih, Jul 14, 2017.

1. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Has anyone ever tried acupuncture ? If so what did you think of it ? Did it help ?

I have chronic back pain currently caused by muscular issues. Whilst my physio is working on exercises etc to help I am managing the pain with my doctors knowledge and blessing with NSAIDs which I would rather not take if I can manage the pain in other ways.

It struck me that when my cat had severe arthritis pain the vet recommended acupuncture as an option.

So perhaps it might help me too. Any thoughts ?

Edited to add... I was going to go to a human practitioner. The vet's treatment table is a little on the small side :D

kimthecat likes this.
  2. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Not tried it but a neighbour of mine has a disease that affects her muscles and swears by Acupuncture. She says it gives her relief for about a month then she has another treatment.

Lurcherlad, MiffyMoo and kittih like this.
  3. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Yes, many years ago. I was having a terrible time with the worst IBS you could imagine. I went to the doctor who couldn't have been less interested if she tried. I was chatting to my hairdresser about it and she recommended that I go to her acupuncturist.

I was so sceptical, but it seemed that every time I went I ended up in floods of tears. After three months he pinpointed my change of pill as the issue. When I came off that, things got a lot better. Eventually, after six months he announced that there was something in my life that was causing me such a huge amount of continuous stress, that there was nothing more he could do for me.

A month later I dumped my boyfriend of three years and my IBS was gone. I have absolutely no doubt that it was all down to the acupuncture, helping me to release the huge amount of pent up stress, and the doctor actually delving into my life and pinpointing the triggers.

Good luck!

Lurcherlad and kittih like this.
  4. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

Yes :) I had it regularly all through last year & now just go for 'top ups'.

My constant headache stopped & I can probably count on one hand how many migraines I've had since I started it too, where as I'd have at least 2 a month before acupuncture. Another plus which I wasn't expecting was the best sleep I've ever had. I also became a lot more positive & relaxed.

After seeing how well I had done on it, a few ladies at work went with their 'issues' and really loved the results too :)

If you're open minded I'd definitely give it a go :) I think the 'Chinese holistic' versions can differ to NHS versions though as I've known people who have had both and prefer the Chinese version (?..)

Lurcherlad, MiffyMoo and kittih like this.
  5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Thanks @cbcdesign and @MiffyMoo

That is helpful and I am glad it helped your neighbour cbcdesign and got rid of all your stress (and boyfriend ) miffymoo.

My grandma had it many years ago for pain and I think she said it helped but unfortunately she is no longer around to ask. I generally have an open though slightly skeptical mind about alternative therapies but thought given my vet and the nhs website had positive comments about it it might be worth a try.

#5 kittih, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    MiffyMoo and cbcdesign like this.
  6. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Never had it, just wanted to say if you give it a go, I hope it helps.

kittih likes this.
  7. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I am glad it helped you. How often did you have to go initially and how often are your top ups if you don't mind me asking.

The place I am thinking of going to is based at a holistic practice (physio, acupuncture, Pilates ) and associated with one of the doctors surgeries in town so I guess they may be more nhs based.

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Thank you. I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to pain and the sleep deprivation it is causing is really getting me down

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes, I have chronic back pain caused by prolapsed discs ,...... did nothing for me unfortunately but it's worth a go & it really doesn't hurt at all as the needles are so fine.

MiffyMoo and kittih like this.
  10. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Thank you. Sorry to hear it didn't help for you. I am glad it doesn't hurt. I am generally OK with needles so the idea doesn't particularly worry me though knowing it won't hurt makes the idea much better :)

MiffyMoo likes this.
  11. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

I went every 2 weeks the first 4 times.. then every 4 weeks for 6 times.. since October I've had 1 top up in Feb.. & im starting to feel like I need a top up soon but I've been putting it off as the headaches might just be down to stress of work & the joys of puppyhood but I know it'll help me relax so I should probably just go instead of taking tablets! :)

I hope it helps you.

I initially went because I'd looked at a 'daith piercing' which aperantly helps migraines... the piercing is based on the pressure point used in acupuncture to treat migraines - I really didn't fancy a piercing so acupuncture it was. :)

MiffyMoo and kittih like this.
  12. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

When I told my mum, I was fully prepared for her to go on about waste of money, charlatans etc. Instead she said "they've been doing this for thousands of years longer than western medicine, I think they know what they're talking about".

13. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Haha she makes a good point.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  14. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I've had it a few times alongside physiotherapy so not sure which one or both were helping. Certainly worth a try though.

15. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Thanks Charity. I am doing physio so even if it's all down to the physio then it can't hurt.

16. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

I've got a slipped disc in my back and Acupuncture is amazing.... would definitely recommend giving it a try x

kittih and MiffyMoo like this.
  17. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Funny enough i was chatting to a friend about this just yesterday, and he says he has 2 friends who swear by it, Steve

kittih and MiffyMoo like this.
  18. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I haven't personally, but would be curious to know if it can do anything for pins and needles?o_O

kittih and Cleo38 like this.
  19. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I think you would only have a 50% success rate :D

kimthecat and Zaros like this.
  20. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. With all these positive responses I have been persuaded to give it a go. Will let you know how it goes. :)

MiffyMoo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice