Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Vicki the lurcher lady, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Vicki the lurcher lady

Vicki the lurcher lady PetForums Newbie

Hi! My 11 year old lurcher has recently acquired some sort of very strange skin lesion on his neck. It first came up as a raised ring which got bigger until it split. It hasn't wept at all and has not caused him any discomfort or itching at all. He has been on antibiotics for months trying to combat an infection in his toe which unfortunately we had to have amputated earlier this week. The vet has shaved around the growth so it's easier to keep clean, but she is not sure what it could be either without taking a sample. Just wondered if anyone had ever seen anything like it?
    Thanks in advance x

Attached Files:

2. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I guess Ringworm has been ruled out?

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Could be caused by a seed.

lullabydream likes this.
  5. Vicki the lurcher lady

@cava14 una
    Unfortunately not although I realise it looks like a hard nail like growth in the photo that is in fact the centre of the ring where the skin and hair is in tact.

@Linda Weasel that was my first thought too but the vet said not. Obviously she's speculating without taking a sample we just didn't want to start on it until his toe was sorted

@Happy Paws2 potentially I suppose, it's just so bizarre and I'm getting concerned it's a sign of something bad. We're back to the vets on Monday for another check up

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Could it be a cutaneous horn?

7. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

That was what I was wondering but seems not if centre isn't actually a horny growth

8. Vicki the lurcher lady

No it's not, it's like a hole is appearing. That top section is drying up and I presume will eventually scab and fall off, and that will leave a hole about 1cm in diameter. Hopefully the antibiotics he's taking for his toe will also deal with that, it's certainly showing no signs of infection now. Very odd!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice