UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dear friends, I need to ask you to please keep my precious Noah close in your thoughts and prayers. He will be having serious abdominal surgery tomorrow, to remove a mass that has finally impeded his colon. Of course he showed no signs of illness until last Thursday, when he had an upset tummy after his breakfast. Since he has occassional challenges with furball tummies I gave him a dose of Laxatone which seemed to settle him for the rest of the day. Friday morning, he had numerous upset tummy spells after his breakfast. I took him to his doctor Friday afternoon at which time an X-ray was taken which showed a suspicious "something" in his intestinal tract but since it was late Friday the only thing the vet could do was give him fluids for dehydration and medication to help with the nausea. He was not a chipper boy during the weekend but we managed to make it through a very difficult yesterday when I thought I might have to take him to the ER vet - - but he settled down after awhile and was okay for the rest of the evening. I took him back to his doctor this morning so she could do a barium GI test. She called a few moments ago to confirm the worst -- that an abdominal mass is pressing on his intestinal tract which is now causing him to exhibit distress. The
owner of the hospital who specializes in intestinal surgery will be doing his surgery tomorrow. This is a very long and invasive surgery that he may not survive, and if he does, the recovery is very serious.

I am going to go visit with my precious baby boy for awhile this evening as the hospital is opened until 7 p.m. tonight. As you know there are no words to describe the pain my heart
is in - - I want my baby boy well again.

·
Banned
12,275 Posts
My dear friends, I need to ask you to please keep my precious Noah close in your thoughts and prayers. He will be having serious abdominal surgery tomorrow, to remove a mass that has finally impeded his colon. Of course he showed no signs of illness until last Thursday, when he had an upset tummy after his breakfast. Since he has occassional challenges with furball tummies I gave him a dose of Laxatone which seemed to settle him for the rest of the day. Friday morning, he had numerous upset tummy spells after his breakfast. I took him to his doctor Friday afternoon at which time an X-ray was taken which showed a suspicious "something" in his intestinal tract but since it was late Friday the only thing the vet could do was give him fluids for dehydration and medication to help with the nausea. He was not a chipper boy during the weekend but we managed to make it through a very difficult yesterday when I thought I might have to take him to the ER vet - - but he settled down after awhile and was okay for the rest of the evening. I took him back to his doctor this morning so she could do a barium GI test. She called a few moments ago to confirm the worst -- that an abdominal mass is pressing on his intestinal tract which is now causing him to exhibit distress. The
owner of the hospital who specializes in intestinal surgery will be doing his surgery tomorrow. This is a very long and invasive surgery that he may not survive, and if he does, the recovery is very serious.

I am going to go visit with my precious baby boy for awhile this evening as the hospital is opened until 7 p.m. tonight. As you know there are no words to describe the pain my heart
is in - - I want my baby boy well again.
Tninking of you and offering a prayer that you boy may recover.
You know you are doing your best for him
xx

may i ask which surgery you are at?
My dog had similar surgery thats why I ask and was in the vets hospital for 8 days, dispite our worse fears she did survive

And remember, however bad it may seem miracles do happen.

Please keep us informed.
xx

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
my lucy had an op on eye at 8...i worried myself sick about her being given an anaesthetic....she was fine. i know your boys op is more specialized,but our pets are hardy souls! .best wishes.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Try to keep your spirits up, dogs can be very stoic when it comes to surgery and often we fear the worst which never happens. ;) They are tougher than we imagine.

Is there any chance it could just be obstruction - something he's eaten that he shouldn't, like a toy or sock? Just asking because if that's the case he has a pretty good chance of survival.
My old Staffie had to be castrated at 11 years old due to prostatitis and despite our fears he handled the anaesthetic well, came home so excited but pee'd for England everywhere, lol. I hope Noah recovers well and I'd rather the mass was a a foreign object than anything else as it is has a good outcome.

Bless him and he'll be in my prayers, as will you. Take care. xx

·
Registered
78 Posts
My ten year old lab was hit by a car 8 weeks ago and underwent an amputation of front leg. No problems at all, will be thinking of you- all the best for your dog.

Claire :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.