Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Has anyone been bullied at work?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by billyboysmammy, Jul 9, 2009.

1. My friend telephoned me this morning, she is taking a sick-day because of one particular person. This person has taken exception to her and is making her working life hell. Its gone from something she really enjoyed to something she fears.

I was bullied by my boss many years ago, but finally standing up to the woman sorted my situation out, my friends seems to run much deeper, and the bully seems to project the "nice friendly" side to everyone but her.

Anyone know what the law is regards bullying in the workplace? or what the next step my friend should take?

2. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Needs to follow the grevience procedure by reporting it to the person above her and take it from there

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Definately get her to report it - make sure she checks out what the correct proceedure and goes about it the right way.
    Bullying at work is totally unacceptable.
    I wish her the best of luck and I hope she gets everything sorted out.

4. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

It's a very difficult think to do, but they need to confront this bully about their behaviour. This takes a lot of courage but often solves the problem. They could speak to someone in HR also to discuss raising a grievance.

5. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Unfortunately yes i have! These people are nothing but scum, and im sure they dont realise what an impact words and actions have on the people's lives who they DO Bully! It needs nipping in the bud and NOW!

I wish idve stood up to them, but somehow i think it wouldve made matters worse!

She needs to collate evidence of some kind if she can and put it in a letter and if possible get the boss to sign it! My work colleague did this years ago and managed to get the boss to sign it, but decided to take it no further silly mare! I wouldve!

Ive always been bullied when at school and at work! But since being long term disabled and out of work due to this, i now have a fairly pleasant life, but do feel it has made me a better nicer person to others!

These people need action taken against them!

Just a thought it just occured to me, that also when arguments start on her and go into private messages and gets personal, this is bullying also, so think twice before anybody tries it again!

6. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

Tell your friend to keep a log of everything that happens with her and this person, dates, times, what happened and if anyone else was there.

Find out if her workplace has a Harassment Adviser, lots of large organisations do now (I used to be one), if not then find out is she's a member of a union and either go to the Harassment Adviser or the union rep to discuss what's going on. If none of these options are available then she needs to speak to someone in the HR/personell department about it.

Bullying can be very difficult to prove however, there are procedures in place to deal with it.

It will not immediately turn in to a grievance, the organisation will attempt to resolve the situation informally through discussion. If this fails then your friend can take out a formal grievance but she must be prepared to try the informal route first.

If I can help with anything, PM me. :)

7. Opheliac

Opheliac PetForums Member

I was bullied so much at my last workplace I ended up leaving. I was bullied by my bosses and another member of staff, all because of a personal matter involving 3 of us (nothing to do with the bosses), and ALOT of jealousy on that "other" staff members part, who decided to spread rumours about me, so they all decided the whole thing was all my fault and so I got the brunt of it :(

Some good advice above, hope your friend manages to sort it out :)

8. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

A friend of mine had this problem recently which ended up with her being made redundant....unfairly so - she went to Citizens Advice and they dealt with it free of charge - liasing with ACAS she got an out of court settlement:):) she said Citizens Advice were brilliant - they will tell you exactly what you need to do and put you onto the right place who liase directly with the company

9. Bethany

Bethany Guest

Heya sal. I have never been bullied. Plain an simply wouldnt put up with it! I would tell your friend either report it or hit the bully straight in the gob! Both are great are kicking bullys in to touch.

Beth<3

10. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i like your style Beth! lol xxx

11. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

I worked in a fitness center for a whole 3 weeks. Reason for resigning was 'roid bob and fat asses trying to bully me around. Happens a'lot wen your working around people who feel they aint good enough ie. stereoid using youngsters or old crackheads. :wink5:

12. Bethany

Bethany Guest

aw hun , glad you left then! x

13. LisaLisa

LisaLisa PetForums Junior

Hi, I have been bullied a couple of times at work. I think its because i used to be fairly quiet so probably seemed like an easy target. In each case I never reported it, I left my first job because of it, and my second job.. and in the place I work now i changed sections luckily! I was stupid not to report it, but it was always the people who were managers of manager's favourites that picked on me so it wasn't easy..

Anyway I would echo what everyone else has said- about harrassment officers, HR, speaking to a manager, citizens advice etc.. but also- does your friends workplace have a union?

14. LisaLisa

LisaLisa PetForums Junior

oops i meant the managers OR the manager's favourites lol. :blushing:

15. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

Don't be bullied away from work, fight it! As long it aint some brutal psychos you wont get in trouble reporting them, and hopefully get them fired or transfered.

16. thankyou everyone who has posted i will pass all the info on!

Beth... i love your style! :D :D keep it up sweetie xxxx

17. Bethany

Bethany Guest

Heya sal.:wink5:

18. She has just sent me this link... it describes her bully to a T and also the bullies i have had the discpleasure to encounter...

How does this compare to everyones experiences?

serial bullies

19. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

I left my job at the DSS because my supervisor made me life so miserable that I had no choice. Moving my desk in front of him so he could watch my work, turning my colleagues against me by giving some of my work to them and it got very personal. Initially I went off sick because I was literally getting up every morning and being sick before work. He was a complete b***ard and really seemed to get off on it!

I went back after a month off on the sick and making sure my Union rep and staff welfare officer but in the main the people closed ranks. The last thing he said to me before I left was "No matter what you you will never be good enough for this job" I calmly went to the phone,made myself a doctors appointment and left my keys on the desk and left! The thing that makes it worse is I know he had done it with other people but not one of them backed me up either. I lost my wage of £500 a month, I had gone part time so I had to deal with him less, I get a pathetic pension of £33 a month and thats it!

Your friend has to document everything and even get a solicitor. She must not give in the way I did. I have never had the confidence to go back to work since that and that was 14 years ago. I worked for a while in my friends pet shop which rebuilt a little confidence but not much! Your friend cannot allow these bullies to destroy her job and her confidence!

Izzie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice