Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harvey won't pee when out??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sampuppy, May 1, 2011.

1. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

I know it's early days but we've been trying to take Harvey to different places over the last few days - beach, river, stream etc and small walks, however, we have noticed that he won't pee when out and waits till we get home and goes in the garden?? Is this normal or should awe be doing something to encourage him not to 'hold on' for so long??? He's a golden retriever puppy of 5 months just in case nobody has picked up on that lol :)

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm really not sure sorry. Do you have a word for when she pees? Maybe then you could use the word to encourage her to do it when you are out.

3. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

No we don't have a word - he's always just gone out to the garden and 'done his stuff' without any prompting. He must have been bursting last night coz he pee'd for ages when we got home!!!!

4. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Sorry no words of wisdom. My dog does this too, she has never done her business out on a walk and always waits till we get home too.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Poor thing! You could introduce a word if you wanted - I use 'busy busy'. Just start by saying it whenever he starts to squat and he'll soon catch on.

Alternatively I don't think it's too much of a big deal - he might just naturally start peeing when you are out one day, and there is only so long he can hold it!

6. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

Thanks both - will try introducing a word to see if this helps otherwise i'll just have to wait and see and hope that he eventually 'get's it'?? Not too bothered but just don't want to risk any problems from him 'holding on' too long!!!

7. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Its a confidence thing, pups will often not toilet off territory until confidence grows.

8. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

Aaah - so perhaps i'll introduce a word but also be patient and see how he gets on in a few weeks when he's more confident. Thanks all!!!:)

9. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

Not much help to you but , Hobo would never pee when we went out , even if it was for several hours going for a walk or a car boot , i tried walking him past where other dogs had peed , nothing worked .
    Hobo is nearly 3 yrs old now and he will pee when out , (but not always ) but as yet has never had a poo , still carry bags with me though ! , Try not to worry too much as Harvey will pick up on that and it could worry him.;)

10. tinysarah

tinysarah PetForums Member

Conan wouldn't wee or poo for the first month when we started walking him, always waited til we got home. Then one day he just sat down and had a poo in the park- we both made such a fuss of him, prompting strange looks from passer bys, and then he carried on and there's no stopping him now! When we went down to my parents with him, he went straight into the back garden and had the biggest poo ever!

11. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

We had the same with one of our golden girls as a youngster with wee and poo's.
    She would wait till we got home to go even after being out on moorland for an hour or so :rolleyes:

She did eventually go when out....after me telling her to ( be quick be quick) at home in the garden and she got the hang of be quick when we were out at about 5months old ;)

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Dont know how long he has been going out for but I wouldnt worry too much, it was quite awhile before one of mine started going as a pup. It might be an idea if you know someone with an older dog whos calm and confident to take him out for walks with them, you may find he will get it then by watching and seeing the other dog.

13. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

Thanks for all the great advice everyone (as usual!!!). We'll just be patient with him and see what happens - think i'm just worrying too much at the moment!!!?? Wait for the thread titled 'Harvey just did a pee' lol!!!! Everyone will think we've lost the plot!!! - oh yeah - we already have!!! :D

14. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Blaze is like this, he wont wee/poo on a walk (may have the odd wee but just a tint one) once we are home he will go in his own garden though. But if we go on a long walk he will go outside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice