Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harvey eats so little

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sue&harvey, May 16, 2010.

1. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I'm a bit worried about his as he really is a grazer and hardly finishes one meal a day let alone the two he is offered. He gets 100g of royal canine twice a day. If I put a small amount of Tuna and the oil, he will finish it off. I only do this twice a week as I wan't him just to eat his normal meals too, but he wont :confused: I have tried soaking in water, and chicken/beef stock but still not interested. I cannot get good quality wet food here at all. I don't know what else to mix in so he gets a varied healthy diet. Although he is not underweight he is lean, and can't afford to loose any.

Ideas welcome Please :)

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,could you maybe try adding a little raw mince in with his food once or twice a week too? and maybe some veg? Its really hard isnt it,as you say,you dont want him to become too fussy over the dry food.As long as he gets through his daily requirements,i wouldnt worry too much.

3. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

16052010472.jpg

16052010473.jpg

16052010474.jpg
    Although to me he looks ok, I don't want him loosing any weight.

I was thinking of trying the raw mince, although not a very cheap option. It's about 9 euros a KG here, but he could have some when we do. I'm thinking of what I can come up with, almost a menu so he eats at least on meal a day. At the moment his food is left down most of the time, and when I have tried taking it up he looks at me as if to say " so what, not interested anyway" :rolleyes: then when it goes back do has a quick peek to see if anything worth bothering over has appeared.

Wouldn't mind if I could find a better quality food, but as you know went through all sorts to find RC.

Thanks again BP:)

#3 sue&harvey, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

He looks more than fine to me in thos pictures:) My Bella is thinner than that and I still think she is ok.

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

From your pics,he looks fine.hes about the age for looking gangly anyway!!
    Such a gorgeous boy!
    With the mince,just give him a little when you buy it for your meal.maybe a little white fish too.Theyre all things that are good for him anyway!!
    I think when you have a single dog,they do tend to be grazers,as there no competition for food.I wish my lot would graze!!

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Thanks for that, Bella really is tiny in all aspect, bless her. He just doesn't eat, although I may have just found out the reason he didn't eat yesterday!!! He kindly regurgitated one of our socks :eek: poor little lad, but I really don't know where he gets them, or how he eats them whole. This is an ongoing thing though he really doesn't eat half of his daily allowance and is an active dog. I don't wan't him putting on just maintaining a healthy balance.

7. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Aww thanks he is a cutie. The only competition he has is kitty having a nibble if I put his on the side... she really enjoys a good crunch :lol:
    BP did you manage to find a meaty bone supplier as I know of a few in Cornwall?

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

So long as he doesn't lose weight, don't worry! :)

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I just use my local butcher for bones but he never has many! so if you want to pm me any contacts thatd be great x

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi was a right little minx at around that age :eek: In the end I put down her RDA in the morning and leave it down for the day. When its gone she get a chicken bone or beef bone in the evening. She soon learned to empty the dish lol!

Maybe try a little finely grated cheese mixed in. Heidi would never go for it being wetted with anything and if I wasnt careful, she would eat what I put in to tempt her and leave the kibble grrrr

Good luck, I hope he soon starts eating again especially now that he has discarded the sock :lol:

Lovely boy by the way x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice