Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harvest Mites

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Picklelily, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I just thought I would post a reminder for everyone about harvest mites as I don't normally start thinking about them until IMG_20180822_133202273.jpg IMG_20180822_133202273.jpg IMG_20180820_173241847.jpg IMG_20180820_173241847.jpg September but it seems with the warmth they are early and plentiful this year.

Pickle picked them up on her first walk from getting home from holiday. Annoyingly other dog walkers had got them from the same two fields last week but didnt think to warn others until I posted on social media so Sadly we were the second dog in the vets from our local area that afternoon.

On the plus side I run a comb through Pickles coat most days so spotted them very quickly and the vets were great getting her in and spraying with frontline and a systemic treatment. I had putting chemicals on her but I definitely hate mites more.

Posting a few pictures so folks can see what they look like.

Attached Files:

kimthecat and MontyMaude like this.
  2. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Sorry that you are all itching now!

3. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Itching indeed !

Poppy & Oscar had them 2 years ago when we were away in Norfolk in the September but dont seem to pick them up here, thankfully!

Picklelily likes this.
  4. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Oh no that sounds like double trouble. How long did it take them to go if you don't mind me asking?

It's the first time in the 33 years we have lived here that I have had a problem.

Sorry for the itching

5. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

A piggin nightmare. I live in the corner of a field so can't escape them.

Picklelily likes this.
  6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

We had to go to the emergency vet in Norfolk and they gave us some spray stuff but tbh it didn’t really do much even though I got a £150 + bill :rolleyes:

Once we were home, I treated both the both with Thornit powder every day for a week and they were gone, although I think they were actually gone after the first treatment but did a week to be sure !

Picklelily likes this.
  7. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I started spraying Hectors feet beginning of July I think as he started chewing them, I think the mites reside in our garden possibly so I spray his and Hilde's feet every Sunday evening as he made such a mess of his foot a few years ago chewing it raw.

Picklelily likes this.
  8. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I will definitely be starting insect repellent earlier next year although I do suspect part of the issue hwrh is that the local farmer has covered all of the footpaths with chicken poop fertiliser.

9. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Good grief that's a shocking bill I had been thinking about cancelling our practice plan but this has made mechange my mind. My bill was £6.03 consulting fee everything else was paid for by the practice plan which covers flea treatments, worming, vaccinations and 10% off everything at the vets

10. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

We have the plan with our vets but we were on holiday so had to pay another vet, plus they charged 2 x consultation fees to check both dogs .... I did say I wasn’t very happy at the time but had to accept the charges before they’d book us in :rolleyes:

Our own vet rarely charges a consultation fee because we have the plan, even if we aren’t due a check up, he just charges us for the meds.

Picklelily likes this.
  11. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I will have to be careful in Norfolk as we visit there quite a lot the difference in vet charges us shocking. It has made me appreciate the practice plan much more, I am just hoping they will allow titre testing on it soon.

12. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

I’m not sure if it’s specific to Norfolk, just they charge you emergency fees as you’re going to a vet you’re not registered at.

We go to Norfolk at least twice a year and quite often in September which is obviously harvest mite season. We normally stick to the beach and have no issues, but we walked The Weavers Way that holiday so we avoid it now!

We always take Thornit powder with us on holiday in our dog first aid box but typically had forgotten to pack it that one time :Banghead

Picklelily likes this.
  13. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Thank you for your advice we do usually go to the beach or the Marshes but as we visit more often we will spread our wings so I will avoid the Weavers way during Harvest mite season. I realise it's all over the country it's the risk of the big vet's bill I was concerned to avoid :D At least I could at a push do a 4-hour drive home with said scabby dog!! Although if petrol goes up much more the emergency vet bill will be the cheaper option :D

Why do we have the scabby dogs? I would like to say my tree frog is less hassle but she has decided she won't eat the silent crickets anymore so my living room sounds like a tropical field full of chirping crickets :0

On the even worse side, I now have unexpected guests this weekend gd what will they think--scabby dog, chirping crickets and Boris the fireplace spider has decided to put in an appearance this evening. Oh and we also now have a visiting Hamster!

14. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Course be worse - we have an uninvited guest - Mr Mouse :eek:

Enjoy your weekend and hopefully Pickle will be on her best behaviour :)

Picklelily likes this.
  15. westieowner

westieowner PetForums Junior

If Fletch gets harvest mite I bathe the area with diluted teatree oil. This kills them off and is a deterrent against getting more.

Picklelily likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice