Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harvest mites

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Sep 6, 2013.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

The girls have got harvest mites :(

I noticed they have been itching a lot recently - Pippa around her ears and Molly has been biting her legs/paws and has got red skin in her legs. I've checked for fleas, but didn't find any and put it down to an environmental allergy. I saw a post on the Labrador forum about harvest mites and it clicked... I checked Molly over and I found one of the little blighters... now I need to get rid of them... anyone got any tips? I've heard they are hard to get rid of.

2. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

We use Frontline on the donkey at work when he gets them, he's the only one that seems to get them for some reason...

I got eaten alive by the damn things last year! Whenever I went to shut my chickens in they just munch on my feet.

3. LPC

LPC PetForums Member

4. Pinktoxicalien

Pinktoxicalien PetForums Member

Have you tried apple cider vinegar on them?
    Also thornit powder gets rid of the little buggers!

5. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I've been recommended coal tar shampoo... I'm going to give that a whirl as I have some already.

Thanks for the suggestions

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I use this because the dogs were getting itchy feet and legs after field walks CSJ Skinny Spray - Repels Fleas, Ticks, Mites, Mange, Lice & Flies

I don't like chemicals at all and lots of folk on Mal Facebook groups use this for bugs in general. Had no itching since using it, spray the pads and legs prior to a walk, in fact I spray it on my hands and rub it in their legs after spraying their pads. Spray myself too because I once had a tick attached to my neck - yuk! :(

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Advantix is good, but prescription only.

8. sianrees1979

sianrees1979 PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice