Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harry's best friend

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by littleBichon, Mar 22, 2011.

1. littleBichon

littleBichon PetForums Member

after me (of course) is his tortoise toy. Whenever he starts to get sleepy he goes to his bed and drags the poor tortoise out of the bed and curls up with him by the radiator, and when its actually bedtime he drags it off to bed and snuggles up with him. I would never dare put him in bed without it!

Hes been on a long afternoon off-lead walk with the OH (I'm only a little bit jealous) so hes sleepy now and right on cue..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He curls its head up into his mouth and drifts off to sleep like that! Is that normal? :lol: Its lovely to watch him with it though, and he gets rather confused when its hung drying on the line. :lol:

2. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Aw bless, how sweet :eek:

3. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Aw that's really sweet! Mine has a teddy bear and he sucks its head and falls asleep, poor old bear is always squashed and slightly wet :eek:

4. littleBichon

Aww, thats what Harry does! its head is always wet. I wonder why the suck them? :confused:

5. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

I don't know but it's funny, even if you give him the bear bum end on he always ends up turning it around and sucking its head. Mine sucks his blanket sometimes too :)

6. littleBichon

haha, I'm glad its not just Harry!

7. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

That's so sweet!

What a gorgeous picture of Harry in the second photo. He doesn't seem to have any tear stains. Do you do anything in particular or does he just not get them? Poppy's can be really bad and we had her tear ducts checked whilst she was having her spay today and they are fine. They only started getting really bad when she was about 6 months old. Her litter sister has very little in the way of tear stains, and a friend with a male bichon about 2 years old has never had any. I know it's only cosmetic but it doesn't look nice, people think she has sore eyes.

8. littleBichon

Touch wood Harry has never actually suffered with tear stains.. Ive head you can get this stuff called diamond eyes but i'm not sure if its any good or/ safe. Poppy is beautiful with or without tear stains though :thumbup: How did the operation go? Ive just noticed you've got a thread going on here about it... ill pop over and have a nosey :)

9. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

That is just soo cute! Love him!

10. DirtyGertie

Lucky Harry and lucky you. I have a neighbour whose male Bichon has never suffered with tear stains either.

Tried Diamond Eyes, didn't help - stinks to high heaven and as soon as she smelt it she ran a mile - her sister (my son's dog) was exactly the same. I ended up pouring it down the drain.

She's slept most of the day again today but is awake and active at the moment. Just about to go out for a little gentle walk, she hasn't wee'd or poo'd since 8.30 yesterday morning so hoping a walk where there's some grass will tempt her to go.

She's disliking anything covering her up - t-shirt, etc., and is trying so hard to get at the stitches. "Leave it" isn't quite doing it! She will have to have something on tonight at bedtime though.

I rang an online shop this afternoon and they are putting a Comfy Cone in today's post, hopefully it will get here tomorrow. It will be better than a normal vet's cone as it's soft but not sure how she will take to it. Can only try.

PS - I mean the third photo, the full faced one. Not sure where my brain was earlier!

#10 DirtyGertie, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

My youngster has a soft toy panda which a friend bought for her when she was a puppy. She still sucks its nose and paddles. Sadly its getting very worse for wear as I've washed it, re-stuffed it and sewn it up so many times. I bought her a new one about two weeks ago but she took one look and turned her nose up......

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

My pup has 'Mr Rabbit' who gets dragged from his crate / into his crate so he can suck his ears and go to sleep. Sadly Mr Rabbit recently underwent an ear amputation as well as needing quite a few stitches (again) in the animal hospital...I am trying other toys as I think Mr Rabbit is not far off going to the stuffed toy hutch in the sky :rolleyes:

13. littleBichon

Awww paddles, yes thats exactly what he does, i just couldnt think if the words to describe it. When I came down this morning tur-toise (as we've come to call him as me and OH couldnt decide if he's a turtle or a tortoise) was face down in Harrys water...I think they may have had a falling out! :lol: they'fe firm friends again now though, as i type turtoise has just been dragged passed to the living room for sunggles with OH!

Aw, I dont want to imagine the day turtoise comes to his end, explaining it to Harry will the hardest ;). No-other toy does the trick!

14. littleBichon

That cone looks fab! I hope she gets on with it. :thumbup: Did she manage to go to the loo? Poor little love, we still havent managed to get Harry booked in for the op but I think im going to book a few days off work to be with him after so I can keep an eye on those stitches, He's prone to eczema on his tummy and we have to put him to bed with boxers on and this cream called 'Exmarid' sometimes. To be honest that cream seems to be off putting enough for him is STINKS and turns his lovely pink skin brown :( but it solves the problem! I hope Poppy is feeling a bit more like her lovely self today, Harry sends his love :D

15. DirtyGertie

Cone arrived this morning - she hates it more than the t-shirt. I desensitised her to it with choc drops, she was happy to sniff it, gave it a lick, let me put it flat round her neck, but once I did it up that was it, head down struggling to get it off despite me giving choc drops through it. Have tried a couple of times and she was stressing so much over it so that's another £14 wasted :(. Tonight she will have to have the make-shift covering I made yesterday - rectangle of material, four holes for legs to go through and ties to fasten it over her back. It's only for during the night. She has her first check up tomorrow so I will ask the vet if they've any other suggestions, not sure if they use those anti-lick strip things or whether they're not suitable while she's healing. She will probably be accused of being a drama queen again :lol:

She had a massive wee and a poo this morning, had three little walks today and just gone again on the last walk so everything working in that department. She's back to her normal self apart from her stitches must be pulling as she does little jumps now and again or suddenly sits down on our walks. She's jumped up on the sofa twice today, quick as a ruddy flash she was, it's so hard to keep them quiet and calm when all she really wants to do is be able to go and run on the beach again.

With Harry's eczema I wonder if one of the Neem products might help? Have a look here and scroll down about half way to FULL-ON NEEM & COCONUT CREAM, there are a couple of different sizes, bottles and jars. I don't have any experience of this cream, just wondering if it might help as Neem oil is supposed to help relieve itchiness. I do use their puppy shampoo and it smells gorgeous and keeps Poppy's coat lovely. No SLS or parabens, I try to use natural stuff if I can. I take it to the groomers with me and she loves it, said she was going to buy some for her dogs - I left it with her last time and said she could try it and she bathed her dogs in it when she went to Crufts!

Poppy says hello Harry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice