UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard about that Harris hawk attack on a 2 year old? What was the owner thinking of, flying it with kids about? Totally irresponsible! I read the Sun article about how Harris hawks can fly at 200 niles per hour, oh yeah? I`d say 40mph, top whack! That they can kill a fox? Well it is possible but highly unlikely! They are fabulous birds but dangerous in the wrong hands! I`ve had one take a small deer but that is very unusual and rabbits and pheasant are more likely quarry.

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Anyone heard about that Harris hawk attack on a 2 year old? What was the owner thinking of, flying it with kids about? Totally irresponsible! I read the Sun article about how Harris hawks can fly at 200 niles per hour, oh yeah? I`d say 40mph, top whack! That they can kill a fox? Well it is possible but highly unlikely! They are fabulous birds but dangerous in the wrong hands! I`ve had one take a small deer but that is very unusual and rabbits and pheasant are more likely quarry.
They are going to be talking about this shortly on radio 2.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hawk, dog. snake or any other potentially dangerous animal the outcome would probably be the same with this owner (I refuse to call him a falconer or austringer)
Thing is at 18, the lad maybe didnt have any hunting ground and quite probably no means to get there even if he did. Before you get your bird, you need hunting/flying ground, otherwise don`t bother.

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Hawk, dog. snake or any other potentially dangerous animal the outcome would probably be the same with this owner (I refuse to call him a falconer or austringer)
I have always had a love for birds of prey.I would never own one though as i feel they need far more care and expertise than i could ever give them.
I do think for the sake of the birds welfare, some kind of restrictions should be in place. Ie. so that not every tom dick or harry can just go and purchase one.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
I have always had a love for birds of prey.I would never own one though as i feel they need far more care and expertise than i could ever give them.
I do think for the sake of the birds welfare, some kind of restrictions should be in place. Ie. so that not every tom dick or harry can just go and purchase one.
A lot of us would agree, some think we can fix it ourselves within the falconry community. The problem is these people aren't part of the falconry community.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
In Canada you have to get a special license for any wildlife ownership. I don't think its a bad idea overall. If you find a wild bird that is injured you have to call fish and wildlife, usually it goes to the Birds of Prey Centre and is cared for and released at a later date if possible. Visit our Centre read the story of Spirit (not the donation part, just his story)

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
It's sad that someone could do that but I'm not sure how I feel about keeping it alive. It's not like a blind dog that would learn to use it;s sense of smell and hearing to get around

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I actually wondered about that too, but I guess, to me, the theory is that the story appeals to alot of people. So the rescue centre can stay open and heal and release many birds every year. Without sponsors they wouldn't be able to do it. The local paper covers the release of 2 or 3 birds of prey yearly. They take them to a safe area and only the paper and them are there its a big secret where they release them until the bird is released...The Bird does seem happy though not stressed, but then I've no idea what a stressed bird would look like. I do believe it has some sight but not much

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
I actually wondered about that too, but I guess, to me, the theory is that the story appeals to alot of people. So the rescue centre can stay open and heal and release many birds every year. Without sponsors they wouldn't be able to do it. The local paper covers the release of 2 or 3 birds of prey yearly. They take them to a safe area and only the paper and them are there its a big secret where they release them until the bird is released...The Bird does seem happy though not stressed, but then I've no idea what a stressed bird would look like. I do believe it has some sight but not much
It wouldn't seem stressed because as far as a bop is concerned if it can't see it then it isn't there. That's why we hood falcons when we first start to train them and at times when they might get stressed once they are trained

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So was it a private owed bird as I heard it happened at a falconry show??
I think years ago, there was an incident at a display when a hawk mistook a yellow bobble on a kids woolly hat for a day old chick... dont know any details but such incidents are thankfully very rare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.