Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harnesses

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Freyja, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I am after a harness for Dexter that he can not slip off. Does anyone have any recommendations Dexter is only a chihuahua I have been to he will not be able to get a Julius K9 harness off but does anyone have any experience with these.

2. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

The puppia harnesses are quite good for little dogs, and the perfect fit fleece harnesses. My chihuahuas have fleece harnesses & leather ones in a H style. I think jk9 are quite easy for them to get out of

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

He has already taken a H style one of 2 of my chihuahuas have buddy belts which I quite like and they can't get off but I can't afford another £35 for another I have tried the cheaper copies but they don't fit the same.

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Sid from Indi Dog would probably make you a tiny harness with an extra strap at the back to avoid him slipping out.

5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Both mine wear the Julius K9 Harnesses. To make absolutely sure that he can't slip out of one, you need to also buy the Julius K9 Y strip which fits onto the front chest strap, and passes between the legs and is fitted onto the girth strap.

You can see the Y strip clearly on this photo of Georgina.

14215275_1250076581693145_1091494681_o.jpg

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

How does the Y strap stop them slipping it off as he literaly backs out of the harness he came with he is also quite small so it could possibly be a bit chunky for him to go between his legs.

I am getting quite desperate now as he does need to start going for walks he is frightened to go out of the garden at the moment and I don't like to walk chihuahuas on collars

7. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Whats your price range?

9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

A frightened determined dog can slip most harnesses, unless designed not to...have seen dogs slip Puppia types, and Puppia harnesses myself.

Best bet would be a custom made one by Indi dog.

10. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

Ruffwear webmaster or the Houdini harness?

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

if you are worried why not have 2 leads, one on the harness and one on the collar

Jobeth likes this.
  12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I use a link fastened from his collar to the harness but would prefer to not have a collar on a chihuahua at all tags are worn on harnesses. Having had my oldest collapse when she was walking on a harness but also wearing a collar and she only came round when I removed her collar which was not at all tight I prefer them to not wear collars at all.

13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Both mine have wiggled out of Julius K harnesses. The vest type ones ( Waggatude ) from Pets at Home are not so easy to escape, when the lead is under tension the harness tightens round the torso. They have tiny ones too.

14. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Can't you share a buddy belt between 2 dogs? You won't be able to take them out together, but would taking them on alternate walks help in the short term?
    The webmaster is escape proof but much dearer than a buddy belt, and very bulky for a tiny dog.

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

The girls buddy belts are too small for Dexter we have already tried that one.

Dexter doesn't walk with the others. At the moment he mostly goes just into the garden but he is that frightened of doing that it just isn't safe to try to make him walk any further. He loves Honey and will follow her but as soon as you get to the gate he cowers and refuses to move. I know he's only a chihuahua but I don't want to have to carry him every were all m others will walk for miles and I'm sure he will learn to enjoy his walks if I can get him to wall further than the gate. At the moment I am not going to force him to do anything he is not comfortable with as we haven't had him long and he is still getting used to us and the fact we are not going to hit him.

I am going to take Dexter to try harnesses on him this afternoon if I don't think any are suitable I will contact Sid at Indi dog and see if she can make me a tin houdini harness for him

#15 Freyja, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  16. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Sorry my laptop is having a fit again and posted the same thing twice now I can't delete it :)

17. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

18. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

The ONLY harnesses Rory hasnt been able to wiggle out of is those with the extra belly strap - and he's had lots of harnesses.
    We have escape proof ones from here as well as indi-dog (and one of the new 3peaks ones, but that'd be too bulky for a chi)
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/SowinkaDesign

19. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We tried a few harnesses on him today the Julius K9 ones didn't fit him at all. The small and extra small were way to big at the front and they didn't have any in those sizes that you could alter the front only the bigger ones they had did this and all the other harnesses they had in he could easily have got out of them. I have contacted Sid about making one for him we just have to get the measurements which is easier said than done then he is going to have a harness made just for him

20. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

In the meanwhile, if he has a harness at the moment, you can make it escape proof by putting a suitably sized collar around him (where the extra strap sits on the special harnesses) and attach it to his current gear with a halti link or similar :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice