UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

One more sleep until Ruben is with us and we're pretty much ready for him.

I've bought him a gentle leader and a standard collar aswell as a chain lead and a longline. However I keep seeing padded harnesses on dogs which look much better and more comfy but I read that they encourage the dog to pull so not to use them. I have seen no pull harnesses but can I use these on a puppy? Do I just order the small dog size?

Do I need a double ended lead to use with a harness?

Ruben is a SBT if that makes any difference. I do intend on leash training him also.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Hi everyone.

I've bought him a gentle leader and a standard collar aswell as a chain lead and a longline. However I keep seeing padded harnesses on dogs which look much better and more comfy but I read that they encourage the dog to pull so not to use them. I have seen no pull harnesses but can I use these on a puppy? Do I just order the small dog size?

Do I need a double ended lead to use with a harness?

Ruben is a SBT if that makes any difference. I do intend on leash training him also.

I am not sure why you need a chain lead?

Many canine professionals are recommending the use of SUITABLE harnesses for handler restraint purposes.Correctly designed, these do not impact on the larnyx and vulnerable throat area or obstruct impede canine communication by preventing a dog adopting the right head posture as head halters can.

They should not be padded as this just increases heat in the areas the harness covers and for this reason nor should they cover too much of the body as heat can be retained in this area for 24 hours.

Inflammation of the muscle and joints should be avoided thus always select one that does not interfere with the upper arm or shoulder.

These are examples of well designed harnesses

Tilley Farm TTouch Harnesses and Leads
Haqihana Italian hand made dog harness
https://www.kumfi.com/index.php/onlien-store/complete-control-harness-detail

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure why you need a chain lead?

Many canine professionals are recommending the use of SUITABLE harnesses for handler restraint purposes.Correctly designed, these do not impact on the larnyx and vulnerable throat area or obstruct impede canine communication by preventing a dog adopting the right head posture as head halters can.

They should not be padded as this just increases heat in the areas the harness covers and for this reason nor should they cover too much of the body as heat can be retained in this area for 24 hours.

Inflammation of the muscle and joints should be avoided thus always select one that does not interfere with the upper arm or shoulder.

These are examples of well designed harnesses

Tilley Farm TTouch Harnesses and Leads
Haqihana Italian hand made dog harness
https://www.kumfi.com/index.php/onlien-store/complete-control-harness-detail
Thanks. I got it because I thought he might chew it but I bought it months ago before I started my research and it is quite heavy so I've been rethinking that too. He's 8 weeks so still a while before we will be going on walks.

I have been looking at the kumfi harness already. Is that one suitable for a puppy?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.