Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Harnesses and dog ID tags?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by finoni9, Jan 26, 2012.

1. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Hiya, Rocky never wears a collar, being a Yorkie, which are prone to weak tracheas, we have a harness on him at all times. Just wondered for those who had dogs that only wear harnesses, where do you hang the dog ID tag?

I could put a collar on him as well but feel sorry for him to wear a collar and a harness?

Any ideas.

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

You could attach the tag at the top ring where you clip the leash.

Personally though, if Rocky were my dog, I would prefer he wore a collar for his ID tag, and I only put the harness on him for walks.

3. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

alfies has a ring on it to pull it tight and it goes on there as the two collar and harness dont fit on together with all his hair!

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A soft, light collar with a tag on won't do him any harm. Having a tag on the harness is all very well when he's being walked, but what if he escapes from your house?

5. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

i actually have never had a collar on mine indoors as they dont really like it and they are never given the chance to escape!

6. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies everyone :)

Rocky has his harness on 24/7 as it's a light harness but I wouldn't really want to put a tag on it all the time esp when he's sleeping and things - maybe a light collar is the way to go?

7. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest, why don't you put a cat collar or puppy collar on him? Something that's just tiny and light for you to put his tags on?

Oscar wears his collar permanently and harness for walks only but he's probably a wee bit bigger than your yorkie!

8. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

We have Banjo's on the big D ring on his harness :D he's not allowed to wear a collar, we did put a very light one on but kept forgetting not to get hold of it :eek: so just have to hope if he ever gets out he will be scaned.

9. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

if using a cat collar - a 'snap away' one would come off easy if caught so nice and safe and great to just pop ID on

that way you don't ever have to worry about harness catching/rubbing/slipping and sitting wrong if you're out

10. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Duke wears his harness when out and about so has his tag on the ring and on the odd occassion wears his collar so has it attatched to that.

When he's in the house he doesn't wear anything so don't see the point in worrying about a tag.

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Can I ask your reasoning for wearing a harness 24/7? I understand the reasoning behind using a harness, but not sure why you have it on him even inside. I'm not criticising at all, I'm genuinely curious! My words are coming out more 'direct' than I'm meaning them to :eek:

12. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

i would probably attach the ID tag on the harness, that way if the lead broke or you took the lead off the dog still has ID.

13. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

Molly is a yorkie x chi, so has same problems, and I have to be honest, I haven't got round to putting her tag on her harness, but im just going to put it on the ring that her lead clips on... She never wears a collar, not even in the house, so its pointless me putting one on it

14. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

Mylo wear's a collar(tag) and harness whilst out on his walk as it give's me more control of him but in the house i take them all off, he doesn't really like his harness or collar so i always take them off him, He's chipped so he's also got I.D on him :)

15. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

One of my dogs wears a harness but only when out, he also wears a collar with a tag on,,, i must admit i wouldnt leave a harness on all day,

16. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

That seems a bit strange to me to have a harness on 24/7 :confused: :eek:
    Mine wear soft lightweight collars with their tags on at all times and are walked on harnesses :)

17. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

He wears a very soft, lightweight one and altho I do take it off from time to time, I guess it's just like many people keep their dog's collar on all the time - it's just easier to keep on, so if we go in and out 10 times a day, it means not having to keep putting it on and taking it off.

You can see the harness in his photo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice