Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harness vs Collar

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Munchkinflora, Nov 30, 2018.

?

Harness vs Collar

1. Harness

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Collar

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Both

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Munchkinflora

Munchkinflora PetForums Newbie

hey guys,

I’m curious to which one is best to train a puppy whilst out on a walk. I just got stopped by a man who informed me that training a puppy in a harness isn’t the best way as harnesses is designed for dogs that pull. He said a collar will be best (if in the right place) as you’ll get better control of the dog head.

I put a harness and collar on him, harness for extra reassurance in case he gets attacked and is easier to pick up, collar with name tags and neck protection. I just don’t know what’s best atm.

He’s a collie btw.

Please give me your thoughts on this and what worked out best for you and your pups!

dustydiamond1 likes this.
  2. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

Collies are so super-sensitive I think a harness is better, you won't need any serious physical restraint once he is trained.

dustydiamond1 and Munchkinflora like this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

My personal preference is to put a puppy in a well-fitted body harness being very picky about making sure the harness clears all joint areas and fits with the puppy's growth.
    Puppies need to learn how to wear collars too, but there are too many delicate structures in the neck and I wouldn't want to risk injury.

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Collars can put a lot of pressure on the vunarable throat area especially so in a dog that pulls. I prefer to use a harness and found that a no pull kind of harness with a front chest ring fastening is ideal for stopping a dog pulling. I used a double ended lead attached to the front ring and to the back which gives lots of control and it helped to teach my dog not to pull and to walk calmly beside me
    I suspect the man you spoke to didn’t know about harnesses with front rings that help stop dogs pulling

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I personally prefer a flat collar and lead - for my puppies i used a soft fabric collar but now they both have leather buckle collars. They don't pull on them but that did take a lot of work with one of them!

One of mine has a harness and she wears that when on her longline where she is up to a speed which could hurt her neck.

All the puppy walking i did on the flat collars was training. If i needed to go anywhere in a hurry, i had a head collar on mine. Not popular on this forum - my older dog walked very well to heel from 6 months.

My younger dog is now 18 months and i would say she has achieved a good standard of loose lead walking. She had about 4 months on the head collar when i needed to get somewhere quickly.

I think i would have struggled to reach the standard we have reached on a harness tbh. I found a clicker excellent for teaching correct position.

Munchkinflora likes this.
  6. Munchkinflora

Munchkinflora PetForums Newbie

Ah I see, I’ll have to look into a harness like that then! He claimed he’s had many collies in the past, he even used the example of how people used collars on show dogs and how they don’t pull. Is your harness a particular brand?

dustydiamond1 likes this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Training, not equipment is what teaches dogs not to pull :)

Chatcat, Torin., Sairy and 5 others like this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Absolutely true - some people (likely ones with acres of land!) don't put any lead on their pup til about 4 months - they train the pup to walk by them off lead first. Which does make a lot of sense really.

O2.0 and Munchkinflora like this.
  9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

There are several on the market, Perfect Fit and Makuti spring to mind. I got mine off Indi Dog some years ago, she will make to measure and put a D ring on the front of her harnesses if required.

But as @O2.0 says, it’s training that stops a dog pulling, harnesses help in stopping the mad I’m not listening type pulling giving the owner the oppourtunity to get the dog to calm down and listen

dustydiamond1, O2.0 and Munchkinflora like this.
  10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I prefer a harness but perhaps you cold train your pup to walk in both . If for any reason you have to walk in a collar in the future he will be used to i t.

11. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I prefer a harness, nothing I hate more than seeing a puppy straining on the end of lead or bucking and wriggling like they do, as @O2.0 said it's training that teaches them to walk;k nicely and whilst they are learning a harness is far more forgiving, I like the perfect fit ones as you can buy the separate pieces as they grow and change shape and their customer service is excellent. https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness.html

12. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

My boy will walk really nicely with either. Most of the time he has a harness on, at the moment, especially as it tends to be dark when I walk him in the morning and his harness has hi vis strips sewn to it, but he will and does walk just as nicely with a collar and lead. As everyone else has said though it's down to the training. I spent a lot of time training a loose lead walk and a "close" position walk for times when I want him right beside me. We still actively train both of those things from time to time, just to "tidy up" if they start to become a little less than spot on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice