Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harness training cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by simplysardonic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I would like to get Phoenix (not sure about Khaos as she's much more 'flighty') out & about on a harness, she's about 5 months old now, is she too young to start? It's a long time (over 20 years) since we had a harness trained cat :eek: also, does anyone have any good harness recommendations?

2. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

the earlier the better... start by putting the harness on around the house..

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Totally agree with rcmad - the younger the better if you can find a small enough harness to fit a Siamese kitten ;) Rosie still wears her kitten one :D
    If you looking for what type of harness have a look at Mynwood walking jackets, they are lovely and very secure.

4. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

With my two BSH cats I started them on the harness as soon as possible, Harvey was around 4 months as was Reuben. In the photo they are around 16 weeks and 10 months.

I would definitely go with a Mynwood jacket, they are strong and safe and easy to fit. My two come and sit waiting for the jackets to be put on by the door after I have shaken them so they know it's walking time. Maria is really nice and Harvey's first jacket was a wee little thing but fitted him well and he never escaped. She also takes into account the breed of cat.

With Harvey we had him in his jacket around the house before we walked however Reuben just allowed us to put it on and went straight out at around 16 weeks!!

I can state that they are safe, as Reuben is a little clumsy and has on one occasion ditched himself in the canal as he slipped near an overflow and he was pulled out wet but safe!!:rolleyes:

Good luck, so far we have had Red and Blue now I'm going with Red Tartan:D

Attached Files:

5. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

with phoenix's temperament id say she prob will like it once she gets over the wondering what this thing you have put on her is. where as chaos may hate it and could do a bangers and mash who just sat there and refused to move an inch ha.

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

And that is why having LOTS of packets of Dreamies around come in very handy. The art of Dreamie persuasion is not yet lost on a cat. ;) :D

7. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

this was around........ 7/8 years ago before the wonders of dreamies existed ha

8. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

I harness trained Oscar while he was recuperating from his accident so he was too weak to fight it but Rosie was different! She s a lot quicker than Oscar and I tried a few, of which she escaped, a few times! I then found the mynwood jackets from Maria and have never looked back! When we were on the boat they only had to hear the Velcro on the jackets and they would come running to go for a walk! I highly recommend them ! They are very strong and reliable :)

9. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks everyone! I'm now off to Google Mynwood harnesses:)

10. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

look in classifieds.. there is something about them in there.

11. Alessa

Alessa PetForums Member

As a bit of a tangent, are there any extra vaccinations needed (apart from tricat) if I plan to take him out for a walk?

12. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

I have to say I assumed not as they have both had all the standard vaccinations which we all get for our cats whether indoors or out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice