Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harness Size for Staffy Puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Staffy_newb, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Staffy_newb

Staffy_newb PetForums Newbie

Hi all, might seem like a silly question but I have no idea what size harness to get for an 8 week old staffy pup! I have looked up average sizing for staffy puppies with no luck, it's all suggestions for adult dogs. I know each puppies size is individual but i'm really unsure on what sizing to go for. I was looking at getting a Julius-K9 harness for preference. any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Your puppy will grow so fast, just get a cheap one to start with.

And although the Julius is popular, there seems to be evidence that the strap across the chest restricts free movement, so a Y front is preferred to a H front.

Magic Waves and Calvine like this.
  3. Staffy_newb

Hi Joanne, that's what I was thinking. I read that they develop quite quick! Also, thank you so much for the advice on the harness. I am going to start looking more into it now. Thanks again

Magic Waves likes this.
  4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

We just had a cheap Roman-style harness from a local shop for our staffy puppy. I think he went through 2 or 3 size-wise before reaching his adult size.

Staffy_newb and Calvine like this.
  5. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Burrowzig and Calvine like this.
  6. Staffy_newb

Thank you, i'll have a look now.

7. Magic Waves

Magic Waves PetForums Member

I've had staffordshire bull terriers and from puppies they grow fast as members have said but when they reach adult plus being well trained to walk by you plus their strength i always had a short brass lead and matching collar for mine.

Attached Files:

8. Staffy_newb

Hi, just want to say thank you again to everyone for being so forthcoming with information and advice. I really appreciate it! I have purchased a long training lead and was considering buying a halti training lead, and or a heavy duty bungee lead. I am a bit hesitant about the halti lead as I thought it looked a bit flimsy for initial training, given the impression that the breed is very strong.

Magic Waves likes this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I can't comment on the leads but a long lead (or flexi) should only be attached to a harness, never a collar. This is because your dog can build up speed while he is running out and when he reaches the end, the sudden jerk can cause injury to his trachea / throat.

O2.0 and MontyMaude like this.
  10. Staffy_newb

Yes 100%, a collar will only be for around the house. I will still be buying a harness for the little pupper.

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

While he's still growing, see what your local rescue's charity shop has in stock.

12. Staffy_newb

Never even though of that, i'll definitely look into it! Thank you.

13. LittleMow

LittleMow PetForums Senior

Bodmin (Bullmastiff x staffy) has the large Halti training lead, I really like it, gives me more control then just collar + lead or harness + lead. By roads I have the smaller clip on his collar and bigger one on harness. Of road I use it as normal lead on his harness, gives him more freedom to sniff https://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-Animals-HALTI-Training-Black/dp/B004W7561U?th=1&psc=1. Too big for a puppy I know, but thinking ahead :)

Staffy_newb and Magic Waves like this.
  14. Magic Waves

Halti leads are flimsy, i even saw a woman with a staff on an extension lead and omg what a performance.

From young and training i've put a collar and always a short lead, longer leads causes pulling with a staff in my own opinion and with shorter ones you control the dog plus staffies can only have one person controlling them and training them also.

15. Magic Waves

Longer leads are better for what you say sniffing but if the dog won't behaviour then it's more trouble on your hands...your Bodmin a nice one and beautiful size :)

LittleMow likes this.
  16. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Halti leads are fine, just make sure you get the right size.
    What do you mean staffies can only have one person training them!? Staffies LOVE people, they will pretty much do anything for anyone.
    Actually I think a lot of dog lead issues stem from dogs on short leads attached to collars. My dogs walk lovely on a nice long lead attached to a well fitting Y shaped harness, and it's what I recommend to all may training clients, including the staffies.

17. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I think it says a lot (in terms of dated advice) that you talk of "controlling" dogs, yanking collars with short lead (yesterday's advice on another thread) and needing a short super thick lead for physical manhandling :( @Staffy_newb I hope you'll take the advice of other people on this lovely forum who advocate for kind and fair training without intimidation, pain, or fear. You'll have a much happier dog and a better relationship with them.

As @Sarah H says, if you're not needing equipment to stand up to you physically overpowering your dog, the harnesses and leads others are talking about is more than suitable. Lots of dog walkers use Halti training leads - they're a very robust product. And long lines are brilliant for training recall and otherwise letting your dog have a little more freedom on walks.

18. Magic Waves

Well i don' want to get into an argument about it but they do take notice more with commands coming from one person and having 3 myself plus knowing a top breeder in australia who does it that way and reading about the breed, training with one person helps them better and i agree they do love family members and other people but if different ones in a family tell a pup to do certain things confusion can set in because any pup that leaves it's mom automatically clings to the perosn paying more attention a form of replacement.

Give a staffy a long lead and it will take a mile unless trained then you have the pulling power from them, i'm going by personal experience and only giving advice the person doesn't have to take it.

19. Magic Waves

My bruno wasn't man handled and i rescued him plus trained him at 2yrs of age and i couldn't have wished for a beautiful dog and well behaved.

It's everyone to their own as everyone as different opinions on all issues but man handling was never done.

20. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I'm glad your dog wasn't manhandled and yanked all over the place, but in which case I would ask, why are you commenting on every thread suggesting others do just that?

You can definitely get a well behaved dog by training the way you are advising all over the place. But well behaved through intimidation, fear and pain is, as already said, outdated and unkind. It's also actually far less effective in the long run!

O2.0, MontyMaude and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice