Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

harness/lead training

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by sophie-paige, Apr 25, 2011.

1. sophie-paige

sophie-paige PetForums Junior

hi there was just wundering if anybody could give me some advice regarding harness/lead training as i feel sorry for my babies cooped up in this lovely weather when we are sat in the garden :rolleyes:

any advice will be apreciated thankyou :D

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

To train a cat to the harness, I started by leaving the harnesses lying around the house until they became familiar objects. for a week or two.

Then I begin draping the harness over the cat, so cat identifies harness as his/her own, and gets used to feeling it on him or her..

After a few more days I put the harness on kitty then take it off again, each time leaving it on a little longer. If kitty freaks out the first time, take it right off again. Kitty may just lie down and refuse to move the first few times. Treats can be used for pleasant associations.

Oh, first I practiced putting the harness on and off a stuffed animal cat, until I could do it quickly. My hands don't work too well at the best of times and practice made it a little easier to manage on a live cat.

Once I am sure the cat is comfortable in the harness I attach the "string" to it, and let kitty get used to feeling the drag.

When I am sure kitty is comfortable with it all, I introduce the outside. ONce kitty makes the connection between harness and outside in the yard with you, s/he usually has no more trouble with it ever.

One caution, never tether a cat on a leash. He could hurt himself very badly if something was to come by and scare him , or worse, if he couldn't get away at all.

I take my cats, harnessed, into a fenced in yard and I stay with them at all times. They drag their strings behind them.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

They like to be on rugs :) And when I tell them it's time to come in they line up at the door and wait their turns to have their harnesses taken off.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      243.8 KB
      Views:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice