Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harness for difficult dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Jan 10, 2020.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Now that we live rurally with lots of things to chase McKenzie is likely going to be spending more time on the Flexi. Unfortunately, although we’ve tried loads, she doesn’t have a harness that really suits her.

She is a funny size so it’s really difficult to find harnesses to fit. The best we’ve got fit-wise is a ruffwear. However, she absolutely HATES harnesses going over her head when they are removed - for some reason it’s fine if I’m putting it on! Unfortunately the ruffwear not only goes over her head, but it is also very tight going over her head, which means I need to fluff around adjusting straps to get it off. She has a Julius K9 too which she tolerates a bit better, but the design doesn’t work for her - because she’s often behind me, the lead ends up pulling the back of the harness up.

So hit me with your harness recommendations please! Something that is adjustable enough to fit her weird shape, doesn’t go over her head, that I can either buy here in NZ or that posts to me, and comes in pretty colours! I’ve already been looking at the perfect fit but they are a little pricey, and I’m worried about not getting the right pieces straight away as I obviously can’t be posting back and forth.

McKenzie says thanks!

16CEEF16-C4F5-4909-AB37-1C4E3EC54B1F.jpeg

Amanda Mower, Torin., margy and 4 others like this.
  2. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

I was going to suggest the Perfect Fit as this is what we moved to from a Ruffwear. They really are good.

There are some companies that do made to measure, others will know better, which could be an option.

McKenzie likes this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks :) Did you get the right sized pieces the first time when you ordered the perfect fit?

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I have perfect fit for both the boys Loki doesn’t like it going over his head so I just undo all the straps.

McKenzie likes this.
  5. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

This is what I do with Woody's, unclip one of the pieces that forms the head so it goes around.

@McKenzie I did manage to get the right size using the measurements but have had to change them as since we have started canicross his shape has changed but it was great only changing the pieces needed and not the whole harness.

Are they more expensive that a Ruffwear? I thought this was only slightly different but in the UK.

Can you get in touch with them and maybe see if they will do some sort of WiFi call with you to check measurements?

I have found them to be a great company

McKenzie likes this.
  6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

They are quite pricey but sox has had his forever and it’s still in a really good condition.

McKenzie likes this.
  7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes that’s what I need for Kenzie, at least to get it off her!

Yes the perfect fit is about the same price as the ruffwear actually, although postage bumps it up a bit. All dog stuff is expensive!

The website only goes by girth measurement so I might get in contact with them with her neck measurement as that’s often the part that’s too big on her.

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

My friend phoned them when she was looking for one for her Podengo as her chest measurement was huge compared to the rest of her body, They got the pieces right first time

McKenzie likes this.
  9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

McKenzie likes this.
  10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Another vote for Perfect Fit. Do phone them, they are really helpful and if There is any doubt about one of the pieces they will send two of that part in different sizes - you would have to pay up front of course but they will refund you when you return the wrong one and it might save some to-ing and fro-ing.

winterrose and McKenzie like this.
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that. I don’t love the Julius K9, and she still kicks up a fuss when it comes time to remove it, but it’s a better option at the moment than the ruffwear. I’ll keep it in mind :)

Magyarmum likes this.
  12. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Another recommendation for perfect fit harness here. I've had Apollo's for at least 5 years and it's still great. I didnt have to send any pieces back though I'm sure when i bought it i had to take 3 different measurements as Apollo is an odd shape

McKenzie likes this.
  13. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Another Perfect-Fit fan here! I phoned them with my measurements they were super helpful, I wouldn't want any other type of harness now.

McKenzie likes this.
  14. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest a Haqihana harness but then read you want one that doesn’t go over her head.

Lucky is a weird shape too (deep chest but small neck) and this one has been the best I’ve used. She’s had it for about 6 years too and washes like new.
    Chewy also has one.

Attached Files:

McKenzie likes this.
  15. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

i got a harness form a firm that did made to measure.
    Libby doesnt like her harness being put on , I hold a treat and slip it over her head, perhaps that would work in reverse.

McKenzie likes this.
  16. Billbailey

Billbailey PetForums Member

Have you tried Mekuti? I think they make made-to-measure harnesses and they are thinner straps than the Perfect Fit and the Juliis. The head loop is quite wide so your dog may not mind it so much.

McKenzie, Torin. and kimthecat like this.
  17. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

T Touch Harness, it doesn't have to go over the head and it's fully adjustable.

McKenzie, Torin. and kimthecat like this.
  18. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

If the Julius K9 fits the bill in most cases, could you undo the front strap to take it off ? It's only velcro through a loop.
    Presumably McKenzie objects to having the harness pulled forward over her ears.

McKenzie likes this.
  19. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I don't know if McKenzie will be big enough for it not to be an issue, but with small dogs generally perfect fit has BIG elbow clearance issues. Like the length on the back piece isn't long enough, and nor is the strap between the legs and it ends up being RIGHT THERE behind the elbows. I refuse to even consider one for Cad because of it, and I know a bunch of people with Parsons, JRTs, Paps, Border Terriers and even some Cockers who have been caught out by it.

I was going to suggest a looking into a Mekuti. They're not made-to-measure, but they are customisable a little - you can have a clip put in on the neck. I actually just emailed them this week asking about some sizing details. I have a friend with a thick-set small dog (pug x) and it suits him very well.

I don't know if they'd ship to NZ, but worth asking as they're a small company run from home so might be flexible.
    https://mekuti.co.uk

Narrow straps isn't always better though. I was fooled into that with Cad's VariFit and the webbing is really stifff and not soft and flexible. So worth finding out webbing details more than just the width.

eta -
    Do you have any more details/ a link please? I'm piggy backing slightly in that Cad can't wear his Zero DC any more now he's a decent weight as his head got fat :oops:

#19 Torin., Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    McKenzie likes this.
  20. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Not sure what details you wanted so here's a couple of links:

Place to buy: http://tilleyfarmshop.org.uk/acatalog/TTouch_Harnesses_and_Leads.html

Video on how to put one on: (go to 0.24 to start the putting it on bit)

McKenzie and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice