Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harness and lead training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Rhia, May 19, 2020.

1. Rhia

Rhia PetForums Junior

Any tips on a good harness for my pug cross puppy, we brought a halti body training harness for her but I'm not sure I like it. Some of the soft ones like Puppia, Rabbitgoo or Ruffwear seem like they might be better?

I'm a complete novice with lead training but I really want her to not pull so my son/nephew can walk her too eventually, so any tips hugely appreciated

2. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

we used a soft one when Dan was a pup, because he was only small, now using a rabbitgoo one. We used the lead and harness in the house and on the garden for a while before attempting a walk with it. I'm sure there's a proven method, but this worked for us. I'd recommend puppy classes as soon as you can, maybe check out you tube for training ideas meanwhile, or a book from Amazon. Good luck and would love to see pics of your pup x

3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

I use Ruffwear harnesses on my Sprocker and I really like them, though they’re reassuringly expensive. My old Lab has an Ezydog harness. However, since I bought it for him, I was advised by a vet (who is particularly concerned with dog physiology and lent me a book on the matter) that harnesses with a horizontal strap going across the chest are not good physiologically as they restrict the dog’s movement when they’re running - it’s like trying to swing your arms with a big rubber band around your chest and upper arms. So, I’d give Ezydog harnesses a miss (as my Lab is geriatric, his movement is restricted enough, so the harness really makes no difference, in my view.). Try to find a harness with a ‘Y’ or ‘X’ strap at the chest, rather than a horizontal strap.
    I hope that makes sense.

Kakite and DanWalkersmum like this.
  4. Rhia

Rhia PetForums Junior

Thank you both, I think I'm going to go for the puppia one as it's pretty cheap and then invest in the Ruffwear or Rabbitgoo when she's bigger

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

Yes, I did think that it could get expensive as your pup grows (I know Pugs don’t grow THAT much :) but even so.)
    Hope you find what you want.

Kakite and Rhia like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice