Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Harness advice?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lwhite, May 28, 2018.

1. Lwhite

Lwhite PetForums Newbie

So a friend has recently got a small dog. She uses a harness on it which is fine however she regularly uses the harness to pick the dog up. Its just a regular harness from the local pet store. And every time it happens i find myself cringing and iv mentioned my concerns but they were brushed off like ofcourse its fine hes supported properly.
    I just want to know other peoples thoughts on the subject?
    I dont want to say anythng again as i have no facts to back up my concerns.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I don't see why she would need to pick a dog up in the first place! Dog has legs and a mind of their own.

Harnesses are designed for walking not picking up...and although they are meeting safety standards... they are usually minimal. It's an accident waiting to happen, plus I guess it could cause pain to the dog too...pressure points are thought of when making harnesses for more on them moving forwards rather than upwards.

As a last resort..I am aware people will grab a harness as it is to get hold of in a dangerous situation. However, that's a one off and not a regular occurrence.

3. PixieSpoodle

PixieSpoodle PetForums Member

Your friend sounds like she's just being lazy and using the harness for convenience. It is not safe for the dog to be repeatedly picked up in this manner and may cause it problems under its armpits and neck over time. The dog can not complain it just has to put up with it. Ask your friend if she'd like to be yanked up full body weight by her bra strap? I'd have to bug my friend if that was me, I wouldn't give a monkeys if I upset her.

4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Ask your friend if she'd like someone to pick her up by her bra.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice