Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hardest Decision Ever

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Jul 26, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

Choosing a new baby! I'm adopting a kitten from the CPL soon (once the kittens are old enough) and I'm torn between two ah! 1 is a 4 week old male silver classic tabby and the other is a 6 week old semi long haired black and white boy.
    I have to pick within the next day or two as other people are looking at the litters too. And I have no idea! D:

Pictures!

Silver tabby:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Black and white: (pictures are a bit blurry, he wouldn't sit still!)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I can't see the pictures....can you try again?
    Do you have other cats already? Is there any way you could adopt two of them....it is SO much fun to watch two playing together and then they would always have company.

3. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

These are my thoughts also. :D

4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

No Pictures:(
    I do agree with paddy paws 2 go very well together:thumbsup:

5. SilverCat285

I'm on my phone and the pictures didn't work right, I'll try to put them up from my laptop if I have time.

Yes I have a huge black semi long haired 3 year old boy named Pepsi :) who is quite dominating ( he was bullying our 7 year old cat at 9 weeks old) and the CPL said that I shouldn't take two as it would be too overwhelming for him?

6. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I would have thought 2 would have been better then if your other cat bullies, as then both kittens can play together and your cat wont know which kitten to bully, if 1 kitten is taken your cat will bully this kitten.

7. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

4 weeks and 6 weeks and picked up in the next two days?

Walk away.

Ah just realised it says "pick" not "pick up" - sorry

8. SilverCat285

I suggested this but they said they won't adopt out two kittens to a home that already has one cat

9. SilverCat285

No! I've to pick which one I want within the next two days as they want to get the rest picked as soon as possible. I'll be getting them at about 8-9 weeks depending on size and health. (They keep the small weaker kittens until about 12 weeks)

10. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I hate to put a spanner in the works but might it not be easier to bring a female in if you already have a dominent male? Just a thought!!:D (Girls end up putting the boys in the place:))

11. SilverCat285

The silver tabby's sister was my first choice but she ended up double booked and the other person got her. So I picked the silver male but then the same person was interested in him too. I then started looking at the other kittens but got told yesterday that he might be available after all, and that they'd contact the fosterer that night and let me know today.

As you might have guessed, communication doesn't seem to be their strong point

12. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

I also agree that getting both would be better for your existing cat; that way a kitten won't bother him. My old local CPL was quite easy going and laid back, maybe have another chat about taking two? I can't see them saying no if you challenge them, it's a nice & easy double rehome for them.

13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Agree 2 kittens would be better than 1, if this rescue won't allow that then go elsewhere.

Though if your current cat is so dominant he may well prefer to be an only cat.

14. SilverCat285

Ok, update!

I went to the foster home last night, to be told that the other person had decided to take the silver boy, but his sister was still available. So I have to decide between the little silver tabby girl and the black and white boy. I'm currently leaning more towards the little girl.

I can't take those two together, they are both from two different litters with 2-3 weeks between them. Apparently they also have a policy not to rehome two kittens to a house with an existing cat UNLESS the existing cat is laid back. As they already know Pepsi was quite dominating they won't rehome two at the same time :( .

When I went to visit her, picked her up and she wrapped her paws round my neck and clung on for dear life, what's that about cats choosing their new owners again? haha

Black and white male:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Silver tabby female (I don't have any good recent pictures, she wouldn't sit still!):

Newest two

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3 1/2 weeks

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The one on the left

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

One week (The tiny one):

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

15. muffin789

muffin789 PetForums Senior

Oh my goodness how cute is that wee little man??!!! I would seriously not be able to resist him - he is properly smoochable!!!!

Little madam is also gorgeous, and I do not envy the choice you have to make! But taking a rescue kitty is an amazing thing to do regardless, and I take my hat off to you for giving one of those little fluff bombs a new home so another kitten will benefit from the rescue space you'll be freeing up.

I wish you many years of happiness and fun with your new baby!!! :001_tt2:

16. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

They are both gorgeous I wouldn't be able to choose either. :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Viv xx

17. SilverCat285

I don't know how to choose! I planned to get a male as I really want a lapcat and I heard that males are more affectionate than females? I've only ever had males so I wouldn't know lol. But she is gorgeous and I love silver tabbies! I have until saturday to decide and I'm hopefully going to visit the little girl on friday and I'll see the boy everyday anyway.

18. sharonchilds

sharonchilds PetForums VIP

My females are more loving than my boys :D

19. SilverCat285

My last cat was the biggest cuddliest lump I've ever met, sadly we lost him at new year to heart failure :(.

Pepsi is the complete opposite. He very rarely wants attention, he's quite happy to go outside, come back in, eat, sleep and repeat. So clearly the idea of males being lapcats isn't always the case. But my almost everyone I've spoken to has said that males make better lapcats.

#19 SilverCat285, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  20. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I will be honest with you, the silver kitten may well have many potential homes unlike the black & white kitten as not many black & whites have a chance, for some reason people overlook them, so for that reason alone i would choose the black & white.

Both are gorgeous.

Quinzell likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice