UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a harness for Rusty for the following reasons-
-Occasionally walked off a flexi and i'm aware that this should be done using a harness
-Likes to try and play with dogs when meeting on lead= spinning!
-Can occasionally pull a bit to sniff etc.

I want something that he can wear off lead if it is one of those walks that's on lead/ offlead/ on lead/ offlead ! So as little fabric as possible to prevent over-heating and also for that reason no fleece. I want him to have as much shoulder room as possible as well and nothing that will "pinch" under the armpit!

I've seen the Haqihana Harness and like the way it sits back from the armpit but it is expensive. I just wondered if anyone has one and if they and their dog likes it? Do they ride up at all?

Interested to hear if there are any other similar designs that don't look like they ride up into armpits....

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Really that harness is just an H type harness, Trixie do one for example which is £10-15 depending on size.

Jessy
I don't agree. I tried several harnesses and they were awful as Mia is such a deep chested dog. They rubbed behind the front legs and rode up and she hated them. I asked everyone I knew with a similar size dog with different type harnesses to let me try them. The behaviorist we used did the same so I must have tried about 20 or so. I wanted to try the Haqihana but no-one had one and I couldn't find a supplier at the time (2 years ago) so emailed them direct in Italy. They asked me to send all of Mia's measurements then sent me one to try. She loved it and has never been uncomfortable. I tried for months to get them to mail me the invoice but in the end they said it was a gift :D

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm willing to spend the money if they are worth it... Otherwise I can see me buying lots of cheaper ones and them rubbing etc. only to end up with this one!
So by the sounds of it you find that it stays in place OK?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I know you said no fleece but J has an Xtradog harness and I was keen to get one that didn't rub behind front legs ( he's bald there!) and with two attachments as he needs to learn how to walk in a balanced way and i need control. It is great. Don't think there is enough fleece to cause over heating. i did need to put a couple of stitiches through the fleece to stop it moving near adjustable bits.

Fleece dog harness with front rings

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I love the Canac Dog Harnesses. I've had some for twenty years and they're still showing no wear. Just pop in the washing machine & they come up good as new. I've only bought new ones because I'm bored with the colours ;)
They're very reasonably priced and easily availble from Amazon, E Bay etc.
Can't beat them :thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I'm willing to spend the money if they are worth it... Otherwise I can see me buying lots of cheaper ones and them rubbing etc. only to end up with this one!
So by the sounds of it you find that it stays in place OK?
Yes the haqihana stays in place perfectly and washes really well. Mia's looks good as new and it has been machine washed so many times because she rolls in fox poo. The only downside, but it is the same for all harnesses, is that she pulls more on a harness. I use it in the car and when I need more control.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i've orded one in turquoise and the matching lead... I keep telling myself that it is his christmas present but I know that is a lie!! He will get more presents at christmas lol + I don't think this is something that he is really going to enjoy... that's my excuse anyway...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Have you found a UK supplier?. There weren't any when I looked for Mia but that was 2 years ago. I will need to order one for Mylo when he is big enough to fit into the one that will last him forever so can you let me know where you can get them here please.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I thought it may be an idea to post an update on how we are getting on with the harness :) Here are a few (bad) pictures-

We use it for long walks when it's on/ off/ on lead and so far it has been great :001_smile: for road walking we use the double ended 3m lead and if we are in an area that is not safe to let him off he goes on the flexi. I like the fit and it hasn't rubbed once... even when he gets it soaking wet still no rubbing! He had it on for 3.5hrs the other day when we went on a long walk and he was happy. He also is happy to have it put on over his head. With slip leads and the like he will often duck out of it- think it shows he likes it!

He has all the movement he usually does in it as well which was important- I wanted his shoulder as free as possible as the idea was to leave the harness on when running free.

It's hard to compare it to other harnesses as I have only used the ruffwear one with a handle for my old girl who needs a bit of steadying from time to time... so a completly different purpose! but I can say that for us it is perfect :glare:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.