Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Happy

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by DollyGirl08, Sep 6, 2013.

1. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

On Sunday I got up early and went to the local nature park, it is huge, miles and miles of trails etc. Anyway, I spent nearly 3 hours walking miles and miles popping up posters.

Looks like it has payed off as I already have a booking! My FIRST dog walking client! I'm well excited and happy.

That is 3 clients I have had now, 2 boarding and now my first walker.

Shows how important market research is too, as I knew going into this business can be competitive, but after a lot of research it appeared there isn't much of a competition in the areas I am focusing on.

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement and that i'm happy with how it is going. Hopefully it will continue to expand.

2. Mad4Collies

Mad4Collies PetForums Member

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Great news Tanya!!

It's such a good feeling when you get your first client...:D

Could I suggest something? I just went on your facebook page and there's lots of posts about your boarding and being fully booked for this month (kudos :)) but there doesn't seem to be any photos up of the doglets your minding.

I get great feedback from my FB page and have actually gotten quite a few clients from it - I post daily photos of my walks and show how much fun the dogs are having and what games we play. A lot of walkers tend not to post photos (obviously ask your clients if they're happy for you to do this first!) which I think is an oversight on their part.

People have gotten in touch to say how happy the dogs look and the fact that I vary my walks every day and I clearly play with the dogs.

I take pictures to show clients how they're dogs are interacting with each other and me. I also take photos of them in my van so people can see how they're being transported (and how tired they look after a walk!). It also shows prospective and current clients that I do actually walk their dogs which if you've read my other thread, is now a necessity :(

It's a pain in the backside some nights when I get in having to sift through all the photos and edit them but so worth it when I see all the 'likes' :D

Just a small suggestion? :eek:

3. DollyGirl08

Oh thanks, that is a good idea and I don't think I have any pics at all do i?
    I will get on to that right away :)

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated thanks.

I'm just chuffed that people are showing an interest and even booking with me :D

4. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Just a tip about photos - check owners are happy for you to upload photos of their dogs. Most are, but some are not. And think about uploading photos AFTER the dogs have gone home. Lots of owners like to check in and see their dogs while they are away, but for some it's better to wait until the dogs have gone home to upload them. Same if you do cat sitting, don't put the photos up while owners are away.

And good luck with your first dog walking client!

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Do you know, I'd say the opposite :eek: The daycare that McKenzie goes to occasionally puts up photos of the dogs on their facebook page and if I'm on facebook during my lunchbreak I'll always have a little look to see if there's any of Kenzie. If I left her for a longer period of time there I'd want to do the same - just to check she's ok while I'm gone!

But maybe I'm just one of those over-protective owners - whenever I've left either Kenzie or Tala at a kennel/cattery I've always emailed/texted while I've been away to check on them :eek:

6. DollyGirl08

I suppose I could ask owners if they'd like updates during their time away as for some I know it puts their mind at rest seeing that their dog is having a good time.

7. spaniel07

spaniel07 PetForums Junior

I put regular updates and photos on FB for boarding dogs - my clients really like seeing what their dog(S) are getting up to on their doggie holiday.

I have feedback from clients that they really like it and its a real plus for them, infact one of my boarding dog owners have been telling their friends with dogs about the FB updates and have got bookings from that.

Of course always ask.

8. Mad4Collies

I agree with McKenzie!!

Another tip re photos - it will give potential clients an idea of what breeds you're happy to board/walk, I've had a few staffies on my books over the year and surprisingly, not a lot of walkers around here take them on :( Folk with Staffs get in touch with me because they know I'm happy to walk them. Same goes for bully breeds/larger breeds.

#8 Mad4Collies, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  9. DollyGirl08

Well I have since had another enquiry AND another booking!!! Woo.

10. BoredomBusters

How can you say the 'opposite' of two diametrically opposite scenarios?? MOST people are happy, as I said, and as the people who posted here have said, but SOME people have explicitly asked me NOT to put up photos AT ALL, and some have said 'not while I am away' as they are well known in their communities and active on social media and don't want people knowing when they are not at home.

I think it's polite to check with owners first??

11. BoredomBusters

That's how I ended up with loads of scent and sight hounds, and spaniels. :D I also make a point of posting up toy breed photos when I home board, as I have a real soft spot for these and want more of them. :D

12. Mad4Collies

I've got 8 dogs in total - 4 of whom are Labs. I've one sighthound and one Spaniel....dear god, they're hard work! And a Basset who is probably the hardest of the lot of them put together :D The terrier is the easiest....

Great mix of breeds....I always get the weirdest looks when I enter the park :D

13. BoredomBusters

Terriers are fab! I find the scent hounds really easy to work with, but that might be because I took a Beagle on a 4 day recall training course, so learnt lots of tips for dogs who like to sniff, which also suits the spaniels. Not had a Basset, but I did have a French Basset (can't spell his breed!) for a while, who I wasn't able to get through to, but only walked him a few months once a week.

I like the sight hounds as I own one, so had to learn how to 'get through' to their little pea brains. No offence intended. ;)

14. Mad4Collies

I agreed with what McKenzie said as if I was using a walker or homeboarder, I'll like to see photos on a daily basis. But then I'm not that 'socially active' :D Ultimately it's up to the owners anyway....

I get what you're saying too regarding security.

I have had a few people ask me why I've no decals on my van and whilst it would be a great tool for advertising - I think in terms of security I'd rather not. I've actually had people say to me I'm being paranoid yadayadayada...but same thinking behind it.

15. Mad4Collies

See, I'd never take on a Beagle...I wouldn't know how to work them and just know they'd spend all walks on lead :( Need to get myself on some practical training courses :huh: But! At least I know where my shortcomings are and what I'm limited to walking :rolleyes:

My sighthound is completely ball-driven which is great as left to her own devices she'd be off looking for small furries to chase.

The Basset.....ooh, he's a tough one to crack. Took me a while to find what motivates him and whilst he's the slowest creature on four legs who's completely nose-driven, he loves a game of fetch. And food of course :rolleyes: When he came to me, I quickly realised he was so used to entertaining himself that walks were a long, drawn out process...'ooh, must sniff this blade of grass. Oh look! There's another right beside it, have to sniff that too. And ANOTHER, oh me oh my....' I was pulling my hair out :crying: But I taught him fetch and that when I call him, he gets a yummy treat. ESPECIALLY if he runs :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice