Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Happy to help!

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by pkb1, Nov 3, 2007.

1. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

Hiya all
    i take ringcraft training, show my dogs and judge, not saying i can help with everything show related but happy to help where i can, if i dont know, then i will try my utmost to find out!
    i can see this forum becoming adictive so will probably be checking in at least twice daily [ unless at a show or judging somewhere] so answers shouldnt be too long!:)
    check out my show troop here WEIAMBEA: Kennel Club Accredited Breeders

well apart from my new baby beagle Whisper.......better get on to that today!
    Pauline

2. petforum

petforum Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi pauline,

Thanks for offering your advice to our other members. This is the reason we created this forum - for experienced people to pass on advice and knowledge to our other visitors and members. We want to make this forum a valuable resource for all pet lovers and pet owners.

Thanks

Mark
    Forum Administrator

3. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

no problem!....as i say " happy to help"
    P.x

4. Vixen

Vixen PetForums Junior

Hey Pauline,

I'd like to show my dog and was thinking about starting the ring craft classes at the same time as the puppy ones. Would this be a good idea?:D

5. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Nice of you to offer your help Pauline

6. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

Hi Vixen..............sorry for the delay just recovering from a successful days showing yesterday...........in answer to your question, it depends on you and your breed of dog, some lap it up some get confused............the best thing would be to go to both but tell your trainer at the obedience classes that you awill be showing your dog, so that everytime you stop and they say sit YOU SAY STAND!....the last thing you want in the show ring if for your dog to sit everytime you finish your movements for the judge.............that is the main confusion point but it can be overcome
    Pauline

7. Brimbeck

Brimbeck PetForums Newbie

HI PKB1,
    I am new to showing, we have two dogs one in puppy and one just out. The eldest one doesn't like showing his teeth.
    I know we have to keep practising etc, but any advice for teeth showing?

8. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

sorry for the delay but a busy weekend showing Sat and judging today........
    i always start with tiny puppies [ or as soon as you bring them home] when they are laying by you calmly i just lift the sides of their muzzle saying "teeth" as i do it.....once they dont take any notice of me doing it i then move towards the front of the mouth and gently lift upper and lower lips to show the front "bite" if they let you without a fuss then give a treat
    I alsodo it when they are in the bath,and any time they are on the table [ obviously only if a table breed!] or any time they are being groomed....try to get as many people, to just handle the pup around the mouth just gently lifting its lips, as you can, always get them to give a treat afterwards.....our postman is a dab hand at "doing teeth"..he even brings his own treats too!....lol....little and often being the key as with everything when training a new pup....never get cross, if it it doesnt happen, try a few mins later.
    hope this helps?
    Pauline

9. Brimbeck

They are cockers so table dogs. I think we will have to enlist help from prople to take a look at their teeth. They will let me look but Dyllan shys away from the judge.

We only started showing when Dyllan was a year old, we never imagined we would show but after getting our second dog we started companion shows and have just compeated in 2 open shows this month. My daughter and I really enjoy it.
    I expect Dyllan was a bit too old to start but I'll try a little and often like you said, that certainly helped with stacking
    Thanks again

10. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

you weren't at Malvern for your shows were you?
    Pauline

11. Brimbeck

No a bit too far for me to travel. We are over in Suffolk, so I'm looking at Suffolk, Norfolk, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex and Midland shows.

12. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

just thought you might have been to the same shows as me this month.............are you going to LKA at the NEC next month?
    Pauline

13. noubi

noubi PetForums Member

i did try ringvraft with Anoushka but she saw it all as one big party as soon as the judge came to her she would throw herself on her back with her legs in the airm, shame as her sister is qualified for crufts and Anoushka IMO is as good if not better, she also felt the need to jump on every dog that came passed in an effort to get some kind of game out of them so needless to say i gave up, think i may get a chihuahua next:eek:

14. Brimbeck

Not LKC ( I missed the closing date) but we are at Luton and Colchester.

15. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

both those too far for me...........lol
    you at Crufts then?:confused:

16. Brimbeck

I'm going to watch

17. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

i guess you will be there on gundog day then?....i will be there that day showing my yankee puppy Jazz [ the dog thats my avatar].............i will also be doing Discover dogs that day with my beagles [ and on hound day!]
    so if i'm not in the ring, odds are that i'll be on the DD stand....come and say hello at either place................you wont miss me at the yankee ring as i dont think there are any other puppies my colour being shown
    P.x:eek:

18. Brimbeck

I will come and say hello then.
    I nearly bought a beagle last year instead of another cocker, perhaps I'll have one in the future - less hair to deal with

19. Apologies for a silly question: I ahve no dog but I am fascinated by gun dogs. Do the gun dogs have a separate show or is it included in Crafts? I
    ve just love to go and see...

20. Apologies for a silly question: I have no dog but I am fascinated by gun dogs. Do the gun dogs have a separate show or is it included in Crafts? I'
    ve just love to go and see...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice