Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

happy funerals?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by owieprone, Jun 30, 2009.

1. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

anyone ever been to one?

I was at my Grans funeral on thursday past and it has to be the cheeriest one i've been to (only been to 3 including this one).

she was 91, was on her last legs (alzheimers/dementia for 8/9 years) and had been saying since she was about 80 that she needed rubbing out and drawing in again so she certainly wasn't bothered about popping her clogs. At the end it was a blessing for her as she was well away with the fairies and had the chance of choking or asphyxiating to death, but luckily she just slipped away in her sleep.

at the funeral me and my bro proceeded to be very immature and laugh at religious things during the mass thingy (we're not religious but gran was). Lowering the old biddie into the ground was quite sad but i consoled myself with the fact i'd managed not to fall in the hole with her.
    We then all decided that we would like to be buried at the same cemetary because the views were spectacular (with only a pylon as a blot on the scenery) even tho none of us live in the same town as my gran did.
    I was, of course, extra loving with my throwing in of dirt and chucked a nice big handful in.

at the wake we were all very jovial and commented on how gran was missing out on the best bit. And me and bro yet again, very immaturely, decided that one of the waitresses could play 'whisper' from james bond due to her top raspy voice.

Nick and i have since found out that both of us wanted the same cheesy ornament from grans collection only to find that it had been chucked out years ago (gutted) so i think i've managed to get the best one .. which will be displayed proudly in my living room (much to the disgust of my husband) a tatty broken several times elephant. :D bonus, it's going next to the souveniur eiffel tower nick gave me after he visited paris with his OH.

My mum was a bit sad but i managed to cheer her up by reminding her that gran was no reunited not only with papa but her mind also. lmao she'll be thoroughly enjoying herself remembering things, like where she put her wedding and engagement rings which she's managed to lose.

During this we all discussed how we would like to be buried, but i overrode my mum telling her that her idea was too expensive and she was going in the wheelie bin like the rats, wrapped in a teatowel with some food for the journey to rattie heaven. Dad is getting a viking burial, except he has to make do with a dingy as i'm not burning my 19m long sailed inheritance! Unless he wants a burial at sea.

So all in all very different from my papas (dad's dad not mums) and my best mate's funerals, which were very sad.
    I think i prefer happy ones and will endevour to pop my clogs at an inopertune moment for my minions, cause all end of hassle and ensure they have lots to gripe, moan and be damn well jolly for, and put in my will that if they don't have a good time i'll be doing a jesus and making sure they do it right the second time round :001_tt2:

anyone else had excellent funerals like this, where it's not only be rather pleasant but thought provoking as well?

2. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

lol i wish i had one lilke this....ive been to 3 funerals, the youngest i was 6, that was my grandads, i cant remember it much to be fair.

my nanas when i was 16, i didnt know her too well, but i was a wreck! i didnt cry coz i felt it was inappropiate! lol how lame!

when i was about 19 my uncle died, i wasnt close to him, but i sobbed and sobbed, even my aunty looked at me funny!! i felt so out of place, but i was sat right infront of the coffin!

I can honestly say.....i hate funerals! lol simply because i could easily sit and sob at a strangers funeral, im too emotional i think.

3. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

Well half my familys irish so we have real wakes! Its amazingly fun and hardly gloomy we celebrate life and dont mourn death. Although death is always sad, after the funeral we have left the sadness behind as a wake is no place for a sad one, at xmas i went to a funeral from the other side of my family and it was so gloomy and depressing, such a change to what im used to!

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

All the ones I've ever been too have been depressing if not outright sad. The worst was my brother's who died at the age of 46. There was only my immediate family (Mum, Dad, Gran and sister), myself and my husband plus one friend of his. There was no music and no service. We just sat in the crematorium with the coffin for about 15 minutes before it was trundled through the curtain. Very depressing.
    We never got on in life and I wore red to his funeral (the brightest part of the day I think) - my Gran was shocked but I wasn't in mourning for him. He led a very sad life and died of cancer, having refused any treatment for it.

5. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

I've only been to 2 funerals,
    my first was a catholic funeral, i was 12 years old and it was the funeral of a friend of mine who got crushed under some park railings in our first year of secondary school. It was a very upsetting event and i never ever want a repeat.
    My second was my grandmas funeral when i was 17, it wasnt so badl, the service was sad but we all went for a big family pub meal afterwards and had a good laugh and reminice (sp?) about the good times we'd had with grandma :)

6. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

yeah i was really sad at my papa's and bestmates funerals as they were quite unexpected (both had cancer, but they died suddenly without warning).

i get really sad at funerals, even other peoples (i was blubbing a good one at the other 2) so it was very bizarre that at grans i wasn't sad very much.. probably cos she went peacefully rather than being scared she was probably complete unaware of what was going on, she hadn't acutally been 'there' for a few years so her actually dying wasn't traumatic. it was a bit sad popping her in the hole as i said but other than that, not falling in was my main priority at that point lol (i'm called owieprone for a reason you know).

our irish aunty died a few months back, and apparently that was a rare old funeral. her wax-work self was out on display, so i'm glad i couldn't make it as that would have freaked me out no end. but the wake was really jolly the looks of the photos.

the best bit is always the wake i think :D

have to say i was bored rigid at the mass for grans, the incense bit amused me somewhat though, and if my bro hadn't been there i would have been asleep!

7. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

wow sounds very depressing! poor you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice