Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Happy ending!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Beagle Mafia, May 24, 2010.

1. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

OK so some of you know that we had major issues with Buster. Our neighbours were torturing him by playing nasty sounds 24/7. We moved 8 weeks ago and started from the begining as we meant to go on. His separation anxiety was awful. I couldn't go toilet without him pining for me, couldn't go shop, couldn't do anything!

So I watched Victoria Stillwell on TV and decided that enough was enough. We got his crate back out and made him sleep in there. We still haven't managed to close the door but little steps are proving successful!!

he occassionally comes into our room to check we are still around but goes back to his crate out on the landing. Next step was to leave often for very short periods of time, with a small treatball. make no fuss leaving and none returning. After building up 5-10 mins then 20-30 mins I left him for a whole day to go shopping. Asked new neighbours who said he did bark a little but only when paperboy arrived and as they were elderly it alerted them to post etc so no probs there.

we are now able to go out for a night out, able to leave him to go shopping but most of all he has started to sleep in his crate more often meaning that if we are watching Tv he will take himself to bed rather than causing a scene or wanting our attention.

It could be that we moved house so no more harrassment.
    It could be the fact he was neutered
    It could be that we were persistant and didn't give up

We didnt need bark collars
    We didn't need a pet sitter
    we didn't need a behaviourist
    We didn't need to rehome him

we are so proud. In the space of 1-2 weeks Buster was cured of Separation Anxiety! We are now seriously looking into rehoming a beagle bitch from Beagle Welfare as company as we are certain it will help him if I go back to work again but also that now we have no behavioural issues we can give him another pack member to play with.

Don't give up, keep trying! You WILL get there in the end! :thumbup:

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Well done. I badly need to work with Rusty if i'm ever going to be able to fly him to the states.

I can now focus on that since he's now stopped running off to see other dogs and taking all my time up.

What I need is a puppy crate rather than my big airline crate that both my dogs can escape from.

Allot of it has to do with paitence and not many people have paitence to deal with it. Let's hope Rusty will be as easy :lol:

Ty and good luck getting a little girlie. :thumbup:

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I remember your threads hon and i have often wondered what happened with buster and everything. Last post i read was that you moved to your parents for a bit right?

Well i'm glad things are looking up. :) And yes a new addition to the household might make things even better :)

4. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Yay well done Buster, and Busters mum :thumbup: It's great when it happens and you feel like you can go out without them being all stressed. Great that you have understanding neighbours too. Good luck on getting buster a girlfriend :D

Also well done on Bark in the Park, looks like a great day was had by all. You must have worked really hard. :thumbup:

5. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Thankyou its been an amazing couple of months, we have sorted Buster, I have been offered a perm, full-time job (just awaiting references and medical check), moved house, organised a successful dog show. I am really happy ;-)

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Been a busy few months. :thumbup: Good luck with the job :001_cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice