UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm new to this community :) I was hoping to get some advice please?

My indoor male neutered cat is 1.5 years old and is fed on Thrive canned food and Applaws adult dry. Over the past month, he has been vomiting twice a week on average and it often smells like his dry food. Before that, he first vomited in April / May time and it was water with hair in it - he would vomit like this approx twice a month and I put it down to excess hair in the stomach due to shedding season.

He has only ever had one *real* hairball which was last week. I wormed him a couple of days ago for the first time in at least 6 months, but he still had a small vomit last night.

I'm getting to my wits end and am becoming very concerned. I've started a regimen of daily brushing (he is a short hair moggie) and anti hair ball treats only. Should I try cutting out the dry food and see if he vomits again before his vets appt?

Would love to hear anyone's experience or advice, this is my first cat.

Thank you!

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
If I were you I would cut out the dry food. It may the case he is not getting enough fluids, in which case the dry food won't get digested, and will just sit in his tummy until his gut rejects it.

Cats are designed to get most of their fluids from their food. Therefore many cats are not good at drinking water.

Do not feed him just Thrive though, as I am sure it is not a complete food. Also it is always good to feed about 3 foods in rotation, to avoid boredom for the cat. Also you need to avoid the risk of the cat becoming too dependent on one food in case the food is suddenly unavailable, or withdrawn from the market.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.