Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Happy Birthday Sir Terry Pratchett

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by weebeasties, Apr 28, 2019.

1. weebeasties

weebeasties PetForums Member

Though he has been gone from this world four years now, today would have been the birthday of my favorite author, Terry Pratchett.

He was a great lover of cats and even wrote a book about them, "The Unadulterated Cat", so I hope no one minds that I am remembering him here on cat chat.

His Discworld characters are like old friends to me. I've named many of my cats after them. I will always be saddened that Alzheimer's took away such a witty, intelligent mind, but I am grateful for the time he was here and the marvelous stories he gave us.

So please join me and raise a glass to wish Sir Terry a happy birthday in whatever world he is traveling now.

#1 weebeasties, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Funny, as I read your post, im listening to a documentary on Dusty Springfield om R2 and mentioned her love of cats ☺
    I never read the Discworld books but I had a friend who collected all of Terrys books.
    I watched the documentary about his Alzheimers. Very sad, he seemed like a nice down to earth bloke. RIP Sir Terry

weebeasties and JaimeandBree like this.
  3. JaimeandBree

JaimeandBree PetForums VIP

Massive fan of Sir Terry here, in fact it was a shared love of Discworld that first connected me and my fiancé :Kiss

No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away.

A man is not dead while his name is still spoken. GNU Terry Pratchett.

Xxx

kittih, Citruspips, NaomiM and 2 others like this.
  4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I was a big Terry Pratchett fan too. My Christmas list every year included his latest book. I still re-read them from time to time, and I've noticed how his style evolved, from the laugh-out-loud hilarity of the earlier books through to the more serious and thought-provoking themes that were nonetheless wrapped up in a healthy dose of irreverent humour.

@weebeasties, what Discworld names have you given your cats over the years? :)

kittih, weebeasties and JaimeandBree like this.
  5. weebeasties

@NaomiM
    The Pratchett-inspired names include: our dearly departed Ysabell, and our current Spike (aka Adora Bell Dearheart), Sam (who couldn't be any less Vimes-like), Buddy, Rocky, Keith (an obscure reference to a joke between Nobby and Colon) and Jasmine (not Discworld, but from "Good Omens").

Yes, his writing style did change over the years and the last few books, as the Alzheimer's took hold, were very unlike him. But those 20 or so books he wrote "in the middle" were thought provoking, funny, and simply amazing.

NaomiM and JaimeandBree like this.
  6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

My brother is a big fan of Terry Pratchett, however I've only read one of his books ... The Carpet People. Now I'm on Audible maybe I'll try some of his discworld books and listen to them while I'm stitching.

7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

My son used to finish his books in a day and be waiting for the next. He wrote an enormous number; I remember reading that he could write a book in a couple of months - they were extremely funny.

#7 Calvine, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  8. JaimeandBree

I loved all of the Discworld books, even the last few which had a much darker edge, you could feel how visceral his anger was at what was happening to him, it felt very real & raw. One of his best books though IMO is a non-Discworld, Nation. It's just brilliant.

I revisit the earlier Discworld books like old friends whenever I need cheering up, Witches Abroad in particular is rip-roaringly funny. Night Watch which came later is my stand-out favourite if I had to pick one, it's just so cleverly put together. He found a real new lease of life with Moist Von Lipwig too, it's such a shame we never got the next book he intended in that sub-set.

I always say there's something in the Discworld for everyone, but if you're new to it I would never recommend reading them in chronological order as it's not necessary and I know so many people who have been put off by picking up The Colour of Magic first.

I am eagerly anticipating the adaptation of Good Omens which is due to drop next month! :D

If you haven't watched the documentary Terry Pratchett:- Back in Black I would highly recommend though it did make me cry...a lot!

9. NaomiM

I loved Nation too :)

The first one I read was Wyrd Sisters as I was involved in acting it in our school play when I was a teenager! It got me hooked :)

10. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Reading , baking and catching up on numerous box sets is only to do list . I will add TP.

Don’t expect any reviews this side of 2029.

JaimeandBree and NaomiM like this.
  11. NaomiM

Love those names :) Doesn't someone on here have a cat/dog called Rincewind, or am I making that up?
    I wasn't so keen on the collaborative books - Good Omens was OK but not amazing I thought, and I couldn't really get into the Long Earth series at all. In terms of the later books, I did like the Tiffany Aching ones - she was a very strong character IMO.

JaimeandBree likes this.
  12. JaimeandBree

My OH is reading Good Omens at the moment (for the first time!!) and has decided our next cats should be called Crowley & Aziraphale!! :Hilarious

NaomiM and weebeasties like this.
  13. JaimeandBree

The Long Earth is the only one of his I have found disappointing (though having said that I have never read Strata which even he said was crap lol) I read the first but not the others so far. I think perhaps it was just so different to what I'm used to, I should really give it another go.

The Tiffany Aching books are brill, they grew up a lot along the way too, I was so glad that if there had to be an ending it ended with a Tiffany book and closure to a major character arc, it felt like a perfect ending to me if we had to have one (more tears!!)

NaomiM and weebeasties like this.
  14. JaimeandBree

His kids books are brilliant too, I haven't read the recent ones for very young readers (though I expect to at some point!!) but I loved the Johnny series as a kid and Truckers etc. He was just a generally brilliant man

weebeasties likes this.
  15. weebeasties

This is weird. Are you reading my mind? ;) I have always said for flat-out funny, Witches Abroad is my go-to book and Nightwatch is my favorite as well. :)

16. JaimeandBree

Clearly we both have excellent taste!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice