Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Handling Robo Dwarf Hamsters

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Bubsandboo, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Bubsandboo

Bubsandboo PetForums Newbie

I have two Robos names Bubs and Boo. We've had them now just short of a month. We had a bit of biting at first but that was to be expected - I think we also didn't give them enough time to get used to their surroundings as we were so excited about having new pets.

To do any one-to-one handling work, I tend to put them in their balls around 9pm (time varies) and let them run around for aprox 15 minutes to waste some energy. Then I put a blanket on the bathroom floor and close the door (we don't have a bath - just a shower so we can't use the bath). We take a travel cage with bedding in from their normal cage so they can smell home and a dish with food in.

Boo has never been particularly interested in treats as a reward system, she's jumped straight into handling with much more ease than expected. She will jump out of her travel cage into my hand and either walk over my hands or even sit in my cupped hands for a prolonged period of time. When I let her roam on the blanket/floor she takes it quite easy, will stretch out and lie down so I know she is comfortable and trusting of me.

Now Bubs is very skittish, there has been progress - she will now sit in my hand for 3-4 seconds before making a break for it - sometimes completely diving off of my hand. I always sit on the floor with them so it isn't a big deal but I still feel awful if she falls!

Whenever bubs is on the floor she runs around very quickly and always seems to be looking for an escape unlike her sister.

Both their ears stay up which I've seen online means they curious or comfortable. Does anyone know anything about hamster body language??

Both were biting at first but this has since stopped so I know we are making progressing and I am not disputing that for a second but it's hard to know that what I'm doing for one of my hamsters isn't working for another so I'm not sure what to change.

Neither particularly like when I put my hand in cage either from the top or the side but Bubs will absolutely dart off whereas Boo *sometimes* will back off before moving a bit closer again to sniff my hand but will never climb on to it despite being comfortable with me handling her out of the cage.

Any tips?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

No tips, but will follow this thread and enjoy learning about the various ways to handle hamsters and help them feel safe!

I will say that you sound very in tune to caring for animals in general, understanding that every one will have her individual needs.

noushka05 and Bubsandboo like this.
  3. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Bubsandboo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice