Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Handling multiple dogs on leads

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by WeimyLady, May 19, 2010.

1. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

How do you do it? I'm struggling to be honest. My dogs are generally ok when I walk them individually on leads (even without headcollars, etc., just on regular leads) but when I walk them together or in a three it just becomes a nightmare. In fact, I almost never walk them in a three as it is too stressful. I do walk my Weim and older dog together, but even then it is a battle as they will be lunging for food, pulling, trying to stop to sniff every 5 seconds. 5 minutes of lead walking will take 15 and I am all over the place. My arms ache and it is dangerous. Yesterday my Weim bitch (on lead) lunged behind me and went into the road ~ she was probably less than a foot away from being hit by the car. Today, my older dog and her nearly had me over lunging into the road after a crust of bread. I'm afraid that it did give them quite a hard lead correction and a smack on the bum, which obviously I prefer not to do but at the time I was furious. They will just be walking nicely at times and then lunge suddenly without warning.

My Weim will not tolerate a head collar, but I'm thinking about putting one on my older dog which may help.

What is the best techinque anyone has found for walking two or more dogs together? I can't walk them individually long term, simply because I don't have the time. One day I dream of walking my three dogs together (I also have a terrier, who has to be walked seperately), but would settle for having my older two walking in a straight line without lunging while on lead. Any tips would be helpful.

2. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

I'm not sure why they feel they have a license to lunge and misbehave. Do they do this when you take them seperately?

I use a lead splitter on my two dogs who know not to pull, lunge or stop to sniff/wee when on lead. My foster (who's still not quite got the 'no pull' rule) is on a seperate lead in my other hand. I don't think the foster is particularly bad but I couldn't handle three like him at the same time.

#2 Johnderondon, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Do you have three separate leads for them? Not sure if it would help or not but if you had one of these things:

[​IMG]

http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-20153...ple-lead-for-two-dogs.aspx?CAWELAID=437275020

as its nice and short it could keep the two which are better nearer to one another and the one who is a real pain you could have in your other hand? You might already do that, but if the couple lead as in the photo is nice and short they will have to stay nearer to each other and one wouldn't be able to go behind you if the other went in front etc.

They will end up pulling each other instead of just you as well and it might make them think twice about it. I've only got the one but my friend would use a couple lead on her two labs and spaniel as they would all go in different directions! She put the two who walked the best together and the other separately so she could focus on that one more.

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I walk 6 dogs on lead, no often because it's boring for us all but if I have to then I do. It's not a problem, they are all lead trained separately and therefore it doesn't matter if they are walked individually or as a pack I expect the same behaviour eitherway.

I'd work on their individual training until you are confident enough in their behaviour. I'd stick to walking one at a time until then. :thumbup:

Edited to add, I hate those spilit lead things, guess they might work better with dogs all of the same size but as mine vary from large to tiny they are useless!!! Put them on the 2 staffie crosses once and they nearly killed me by wrapping to round my legs!! Lol!!!

5. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

I had a lead splitter, problem is, I not very tall nor strong and when two larger dogs get enthousiastic I have to hold on to a lamppost or such:D
    What I have too is a jogging lead, so I strap one dog to my waist and hold the other one on a normal lead.
    I have 3 dogs now, so I am very happy I have not yet had to walk them on leads together.

6. WeimyLady

They are much better when I take them individually, but not perfect. They walk well enough individually to be controllable, because I can focus all my attention on them. Together they are so unpredictable.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I often walked my pair plus 2 neighbours dogs, sometimes an extra 2 aswell.

The hardest part was getting 3 on each side working out who needed to be next to who! As I can't have big Buster next to Dixie she hates the way he is after her (he fancies her) I also couldnt have Dixie next to Tess as she hates being close to her! Dave and Bully cant be on the same side, and Bully cant be on the same side as Tess as she pulls forward and he pulls back! Lol

Once I had that confusing part done with, it was a battle in itself just getting moving, as they all wanted to be infront!

They soon realised that no one was going Anywhere until they were quiet and behaved!!

I also made sure I wasnt walking them all on lead for longer than to the field as it just got sooo boring for everyone, and the constant stop-start is irritating but they dont move unless they are walking nice(ish).

Getting to the field I also had to make sure I let the ones that pull off first, otherwise theyd be pulling in different directions!

But the walk home was much easier as they were tired out and it didn't matter who was next to who (as long as Dixie wasnt immediately next to Buster or Tess) and I could even have them all the same hand so maybe you should practice it after a good walk if you can get someone to come along with you at first, and keep rewarding for good behaviour, dont let them pull, if they do, stop.

8. WeimyLady

I have a feeling that if I used one of these they would still lunge, only take the other dog with them!

9. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

Its a nightmare with my three, not because they are naughty but because they want to stop and sniff and wee ands poo at different times and I end up all tangled up. I cant use a splitter as they are different speeds and sizes. Its right a 15 mim walk takes half hour. Still when I first had the lurcher I couldnt walk him with Patterdale at all without muzzle and now they are excellent. The other thing is when one wees the others all have to go in the same place so its like a toilet queue. Still musnt moan

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i walk mine together one on a halti and one on a canny collar, they dont pull as much but as i have a weak wrist and messed up hips/knees its safer for me to walk them like that. I use a police style lead aswell which i love as i can shorten and lengthen to what ever i feel is best and they are very sturdy. i hold one in each hand and they are trained to go on one side (bear -left, zeb-right) they know which side to go on aswell and if you swap them they get in a tizz lol

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I find it helps if all the dogs are too tiny to pull you over!:D I think mine would be a pain if they were bigger, they cant resist the lure of pavement buffets either.:rolleyes:
    Although I use a coupler on one side and a normal lead on the other and only get problems when I stop. They are getting better with the wait command tho, so they arent all milling about getting tangled as Im trying to pick up poop.:D

12. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

I walk all 4 of mine at the same time but they are all small dogs which makes it easier.
    I walk the girls on the right and the boys on the left.

I would walk them all individual for now and work on training them to behave better on the lead first until you feel confident enough to try walking two at a time :)

13. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I walk 3 of mine together and when and if the Shih Tzu (who is trying very hard not to learn the loose lead walking) gets it she'll be walked with them. So until then we take turns as the other dogs also love being walked separately so one day they are together and the next all separate....Jill

14. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

So they are pretty good when out on own.. but beggars all together.. is there any chance you can get some help on the walk..And then they can be out together, but be under control. Start by just trying to walk the two, Talk to them and try and keep them interested in you...

I have two weimy's they both walk on my left... They have a particular way to walk aswell mum on outside and pup next to me.. They won't walk anyother way.. Even if I have a mate holding one pup still has to get next to me on the inside of her mum on my left.. I sometimes walk my two weimy's a collie x shepherd and a JRT... I find the collie tries to get in front I just put the Jrt on the left which give my right hand to get hold of the collie x shepherd..

15. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I don't often have the dogs on leads, they are all allowed off lead apart from the greyhound in certain areas.

If I need to put them on lead (bearing in mind i'm a dog walker) I just put them all on, and they don't seem to get tangled, I occasionally use the couplings that will link 2 dogs together if I have a large group and in a area where they need to be on lead for a bit x

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't do it as Luna requires much less exercise than my other 2 so sorry I can't help :(

17. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i walk two huskies, with a 3rd on my way tomorrow so gonna buy the dog link so the two bigger ones are together and the pup on his own. :)

18. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I use a belt round my waist which I slip the leads through. I love it as I can even answer the phone! It also means that if they do lunge, then they do so against my body weight.

I lead walk 4 dogs and I can't have them sniffing and peeing when they feel like it. Before the walk they have access to the garden so they can go to toilet. But in saying that they still like to pee ouside!

I guess it is just a matter of finding what works for you. Good luck x

19. WeimyLady

My big two weigh as much as a me, so no doubt if they lunged even if attached to my waist I'd end up in a pile with them.

I think I'm just going to have to get stricter with them. Unfortunately I made the massive mistake of allowing them to stop and sniff when on the lead and I am paying for it now there is two of them.

20. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

what about a walky belt??

Puts all the strain onto your torso intead of your arms and you can walk all of them at once on it, my mate who has huskies has walked 4 pulling huskies on hers all at the same time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice