Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Handling baby hamsters

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Daisymoo, May 7, 2010.

1. Daisymoo

Daisymoo PetForums Senior

I had 2 comments off people on a pet website saying that I shouldn't hold hamsters by their scruff as its uncomfortable for them! Is this not how the mum holds them and also how vets hold them when they are examining them?

2. Shamen

Shamen Guest

its the only way a mother can carry her babies and vets do it because they dont want to risk a bite and its only likely to be on very few occasions, but its also my opinion that you should'nt pick them up like this aswell i would have thought that as they grow and get heavier it will be quite unpleasant for them to be dangled by their skin.

why not just handle them gently so its enjoyable for them?

3. Louise_81

Louise_81 PetForums Junior

Personally I feel that it is an outdated method of picking up any animal. Obviously there are some occasions where it would need to happen, but these are few and far between.

A vet uses this method to examine the teeth, as it is often much easier and quicker for them to do this than wrestle with the little guy and maybe cause more damage, or risk bites.

You don't mention how old your babies are. You should start to handle babies from around two weeks old, once their eyes are open and they are toddling around. Before you start handling make sure mum is happy with this, either put her into a play box with some treats or in her ball for 10 minutes. Wipe your hand in her bedding, so the kits don't smell of you, just of the cage itself, this reduced the risk of mum feeling threatened, and disposing of the babies.

For a pet owner, taming should be fun and as stressfree as possible for the babies, as they are only begining to trust humans. You will be doing your pets a favour if you can pick them up by scooping, one hand under the belly and one hand over the top to prevent jumpers.

Start off with a couple of seconds over their cage, so it is not far to drop and damage small fragile bodies. Build up the time out of the cage.

Remember that they will need to be seperated from mum, and into single sexes at around 4 weeks to prevent inbreeding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice