UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has suggested that we should try handfeeding Scout her meals, which they said would increase her bond with me and other members of the household, and increase her attention to me - I would become the "food god", making her more responsive to me. I've googled it and seen some videos about it.

She is 7 months old, a Patterdale, coming up to her first season, and we have had her for four weeks now. I had noticed that she is no longer paying as much attention to me as she did when she first came and is more reluctant to do what I ask her to. I had been assuming that this was partly her age and partly her hormones and partly testing boundaries after a few weeks. I asked my dog trainer at training class today and she seemed to think handfeeding might be a good idea.

Does anyone else here have any experience of this - is it a good thing or a bad thing? Or neither?!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Personally i dont like handfeeding, i feel it encourages them to not eat from their bowl, i know alot of owners who have had this problem with their dogs and they start hand feeding and never stop..

There are many ways you can bond, as your walking round the house call her and treat, do this alot, she will start to come instantly as she will know shes going to get something nice. Her dinner is her dinner, you shouldnt mess with it and start handfeeding. You can take a handful of her dinnner away depending on how many treats you give throughout day and things.

There are many other ways to bond with your dog, simple training such as sit, down, spin, paw etc with lots of praise and treats. Grooming is also a great way to bond, and even playing ball.

I dont agree with handfeeding, i feel that a dogs meal is their own and shouldnt be messed around with, there are many ways you can bond with your dog.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding, from watching a few videos, is that you do the hand feeding for three or four weeks, and then phase bowl-feeding back in again.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My understanding, from watching a few videos, is that you do the hand feeding for three or four weeks, and then phase bowl-feeding back in again.
You can do but personally it seems a bit pointless! I would let her have her dinner, and just do bonding with treats, grooming, playing etc.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Someone has suggested that we should try handfeeding Scout her meals, which they said would increase her bond with me and other members of the household, and increase her attention to me - I would become the "food god", making her more responsive to me. I've googled it and seen some videos about it.

She is 7 months old, a Patterdale, coming up to her first season, and we have had her for four weeks now. I had noticed that she is no longer paying as much attention to me as she did when she first came and is more reluctant to do what I ask her to. I had been assuming that this was partly her age and partly her hormones and partly testing boundaries after a few weeks. I asked my dog trainer at training class today and she seemed to think handfeeding might be a good idea.

Does anyone else here have any experience of this - is it a good thing or a bad thing? Or neither?!

Thanks in advance.
My thoughts are that it could possibly back fire, last thing you want if it does is a dog that wont eat unless its hand fed and given attention. Ive heard of people doing it to encourage picky eaters or dogs that wont eat and then found they have another problem instead.

Puppies are usually more dependant and eager to please but often come adolsescence which at 7 months she would be they can start to become more independant and push at boundaries many people find at this age that recall starts to go a bit wonky too even if they came before.

Instead of just hand feeding her meals which could possibly cause problems, personally I would up the training sessions and get her to focus and improve attention and response to commands that way, even 2/3 10/15 minute sessions a day should make a difference and also mix it with a bit of interactive play like chasing a ball or toy and encouraging her to bring it back drop it and then sit and wait until its thrown again, that will increase the bond, be training too, and improve things like impulse control and focus.

I would also generally make her work for attention and anything she wants from you or that you give her sitting etc before she gets them and reward with praise and treats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts