Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hand rearing or topping up

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by pommum, Aug 16, 2009.

1. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

I am having to top up the pups at the moment as Arwin is struggling to produce enough milk. They have all no gotten back upto their birth weight but it has taken longer than expected, so I am now going to look at toppin them up with a milk formula, this morning I gave them a little bit of Lactol but I know this stuff isn't the best.

I was wondering if any other breeders on here have their own formula they make up that works well.

All help with this will be very much appreciated.

take care

Sarah

2. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

Hi,i use suff i get from the vets for my cats,its better than lactol.Will you use a bottle or syringe??:)

3. Liteskye

Liteskye PetForums Member

Lactol isn't good at all. I found the Royal Canin milk very good for this. But be carefull the artificial milk doesn't make the pups constipated.

4. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

yes it is a good one,as pup is having mums milk too,hopefully it wont get bunged up.

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I had to top up some of mine. I used lactol as it was all I could get at the time for the last litter but the litter before we had 10 pups and some had to be topped up I used the royal canin milk then. The one that we nearly lost and had to be almost completely bottle fed I sold much to some peoples surprise as they though I would be too attached to her and want tp keep her has gone on to do really well in the show ring.

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I have two that i think are good: ( Esbilac and Welpi ).....We also use them at work for all the baby mammals that come in with out a mother!

#6 DevilDogz, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  7. clueless

clueless Banned

I use and much prefer Royal Canin

8. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Ok peeps false alert she seems much more setteled with them this evening, none of the pups are dehydrated and would of had life aid immediatly if I had needed to, but they are doing well. All three pups have been suckling really well today and have started to put weight back onand are all back to their birth weights.

I will look into getting the Rc milk asap just in case I may need it.

take care and thanks everyone.

Sarah

9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Thats great news..so glad to here the pups are doing better! :)..Fingers crossed it all carrys on to go well and you dont have to get involved! :eek:

10. Liteskye

Liteskye PetForums Member

Excellent news!!! So pleased to hear that the pups are putting on weight, etc.

11. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

Hi Sarah, glad to hear things are improving!
    It's harder with the little mums because they don't seem to drink enough.
    Are you giving Arwin goats milk or ice cream?
    Both will help with milk production if she isn't too interested in water xx

12. cav

cav PetForums VIP

fantastic news agree Royal Canin milk is better.

13. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Arwin has come down with the squite quite badley, and with this she hasn't been getting enough neutrients in her to produce good quality milk for the babies, so it was off to the vets this afternoon, she is now on antibiotics and I bought a tub of whelpi too, th epups love the stuff so hoping we will have a turn for the better now, they have made it to their due date which is tomorrow so they are not doing to bad, althoguh would love for them all to get back up to their birth weights fully as they lost a little over the night with Arwin being unsetled with her upset tummy.

Hopefully we will have some good news to tell you all soon.

Thanks for everyones guidance you are all fab.

Sarah

14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Ahh your really having this tough arent you! :(...Hope Arwin is back to normal soon im sure the anti-biotic will do her some good.
    All fingers crossed that all pups get back up to birth weight and keep on doing well..Witch in your care im sure they will all done fine :eek:

I personally think Welpi is a good one..But we have never had to hand rear pups..Its just what we use at work for the mammals that come in as orphans.!

Best wishes

kerry

15. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Arwin has picked up much more this morning and has had a full breakfast, pups have had milk from mum all night and then a bottle this morning and have finally put weight on, they are all back to their birth weights so much happier this morning.
    Lets hope it is a sign of better things to come. Thank goodness for Whelpi and antibiotics.

take care
    Sarah

16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Thats brilliant news Sarah..well done! and thank you for keeping us update..

17. cav

cav PetForums VIP

That is great news im sure they will be little chunky babies soon:) glad mum is feeling better:)

18. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

Glad to hear Arwin's feeling a little better, keep at it Sarah, bet
    you're knackered bless ya! Good to hear pups are back to birth weight finally!
    x x x

Changes likes this.
  19. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

great news. its so rewarding......................... tiring i know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice