Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hand rearing a newborn pup

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by tordiamond, Aug 14, 2009.

1. tordiamond

tordiamond PetForums Member

My english bull terrier had a litter of 5 yesterday but sadly 1 was stillborn,we have a runt in the litter that isn,t feeding of the mum,so we are bottle feeding him.He is pooing and weeing when stimulated but as we have never done this before are worried about the colour of his urine,it is a browny colour,is this normal in newborn puppies,his poo is the right colour,yellowish as are the other pups,but can anyone give me any advice please.Thanks.

2. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

carnt help you im afraid :( just to say congrats on your litter pics please when you have time :) if your in any doubt please please phone the vet.telephone advice wont cost you anything & they will be the best 4 advice xx

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

The wee should be clear..You need to check it out with the vets straight away! This is definitely not normal

4. tordiamond

I just read loads of info on the internet and they all say he is probably dehydrated,he,s just had a good feed and is now sleeping,but i will still ring the vets just to make sure.Thanks for the advice.

5. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Yes that can be a sign..But it could also have an infection of some sort..a pup of that age will not cope with an infection or being dehydrated...

You need to make up a rehydrating fluid witch is: 1/2 pint of water, a tea spoon of sugar and a pinch of salt! (warm the water up a little)

Or get some one to get some liquid life aid for you..but there isnt time to mess about seriously.

But please do get on to the vets straight away.

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i totally agree with the above post please get the puppy to the vet asap!

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I replied to your pm Tordiamond and will you please let us know what happens...I always worry about such young pups!

8. tordiamond

hi,sorry didn,t get back straight away,just gave him some,he had a little bit,but before hand i made him go to the toilet and his poo came out in 2 solid lumps,so hopefully if this works he,ll be ok,but still gonna ring vets in morning.

9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Ok keep putting the puppy on the back teats as many times as you can..

Now i would say stop feeding the milk forumal you are feeding as his tummy cant take both his mums and the forumal milk..Witch will make him consitpated, hence the hard soild poo..It should be soft.

Till the puppy is over the dehydration and is pee-ing clear keep topping it up with the 1/2 pint of water, a tea spoon of sugar and a pinch of salt! (warm the water up a little)
    Witch i suggested..and you should only give 1ml of this to 1oz of body weight.Give this every two hours.

But make sure to put the pup on the back nipples as many times as you possible can, they need the mums milk for the anti-bodies.

Getting on to the vets is really important incase the pup also has an infection..if you cant get on to them till the morning...please keep a blimmin close eye on the pup and if he goes down hill futhur get him straight to the vets

EDIT: To say are the pups on a heat pad!??

#9 DevilDogz, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  10. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

to stimulate the milk flow you can put a strong puppy on a back teat then remove it & try to latch the weak puppy on.

1 person likes this.
  11. tordiamond

We can,t get him on the mum she won,t let us anywhere near her,we managed to get him out by tempting her with treats and even then she growled.When he was in there she ignored him most of the time and its impossible to get him to one of her teats as she,ll keep picking him up amd moving them about.plus he won,t latch on.

12. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

If mum is pushing him away it is usually natures way of saying there is something wrong with this pup, I had a similar problem last year with one of my girls, who had reabsorbed a pup and the last pup born had taken in an ifection fromt he reabored one, she ended up having pnuemonia on her lung as there was nothing we could do for her. Her mum also pushed her off. I spent nearly 3 weeks handrearing that pup and then lost her it still brings a tear to my eye when Italk about it. Your pup needs to see a vet asap hun.

good luck.

Sarah

13. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

How is this little chap doing!? Have you got on to the vets yet.!?

14. tordiamond

Bad news i,m affraid,he didn,t make it through the night.Before i went to sleep i made him have a poop and wee and it must of really hurt him as he was really squealing as he was doing a poo,it was really hard,bless him.I then fed him and set my alarm for 1 1/2 hours time to check and feed again,when the alarm went of he had already gone.Poor little thing.:(..but the other 3 pups we got are doing really well,thank god.:)

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are you not watching the litter 24/7?

16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I feared that was the news i was going to get...It needed a vet straight away! :(:(
    Sleep tight little chap! :(

Glad to hear the others are all doing well

#16 DevilDogz, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  17. tordiamond

We are watching the litter all the time,he was next to my bed on my bedside table as he couldn,t be with his mum,she was just ignoring him.I stayed with him all the time.

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Poor little guy :(

I hope the rest of the litter do well.

19. Liteskye

Liteskye PetForums Member

I am sorry to hear this. Know how you feel too.

I reared a pup from Tia's litter for two weeks. I had to inject a saline solution under his skin every couple of hours to stop him dehydrating. He was like that when he used to go to the toilet, but the vet was saying its where he was constipated. He died after two weeks as his body just couldn't take it any more. Broke my heart that did, as I grew so close to the little lad.

20. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I know this won't be met with warm reception but the mum would have been pushing him out for a reason... she knew something was wrong and that he wasn't going to make it, so pushed him out to be sure the others would be ok. Dogs have a much better instinct than us.

Don't throw stones at the owner for doing her best for the little pup, it's not her fault, it's nobody's fault, it's just natures way. Nothing she or a vet could do to save it.

Sweet Dreams little one xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice