Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hamsters nails getting too long advice

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Ella Brathwaite, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Ella Brathwaite

Ella Brathwaite PetForums Junior

Hello,
    I have noticed my hamsters nails getting longer and they hurt a small bit when I told him. Please could anyone offer advice on natural ways to get them to file down. Thank you

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

You can place a rock in your hamsters cage, you need to clean and sterilise it first. I'll find a video about that and edit this post.

Found it:

3. Thea_SRA27

Thea_SRA27 Thea

Yes rocks are the best way to file them, I would suggest putting them somewhere that the hamster has to walk, for an example next to a water bottle or in front of a wheel as they may ignore it if it's just in a corner somewhere.

Ella Brathwaite likes this.
  4. hamsterlover123

hamsterlover123 PetForums Member

Thank you might do that myself later!

Thea_SRA27 likes this.
  5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Does your hamster have access to a sand bath? All hamsters should for coat health. However digging in said sand also helps keep their nails short - and in all my experience with hamster rescue, it's really only those without appropriate access who have overgrown nails.

The main other reason for overgrown nails though is old age - which is linked because y'know, if you're old you'll be exercising much less, including scratching in sand. If this is the case with your guy then an additional stone in the cage (even one in a frequently accessed location) is unlikely to help much since that still requires a certain level of activity. Best bet in this situation is to trim them directly - if you're not confident to do this yourself, most vet nurses will help you out.

Ella Brathwaite likes this.
  6. Ella Brathwaite

Ella Brathwaite PetForums Junior

Hello thank you for the advice ! I do have a sand bath for him he just hasn’t used it in the last couple of days as I’m waiting for the new sand to arrive along with his upgraded cage. I’m hoping that with the sand and rocks they will get a bit shorter. Thank you so much !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice